1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Gravitational problem

1. Mar 11, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

The mass of the earth is 5.98*10^24 kg and its radius is 6370 km. The radius of the moon is 1738 km. The acceleration of gravity at the surface of the moon is 1.62 m/s^2. What is the ratio of the average density of the moon to that of the earth ?

2. Relevant equations

New's law of gravity: F= G*m1*m2/r^2

3. The attempt at a solution

I understand that I need to find mass of the moon to get its density. How should I calculate the mass of the moon ??

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 11, 2009 #2
    Assume a 1 kg test mass and write a statement about what is true at the surface of the earth and a similar statement for the same 1 kg mass at the surface of the moon.

4. Mar 11, 2009 #3
    On the earth it will have the weight of 9.81 N and on the moon its weight gonna be 1.62 N. Is that what you are talking about ?

5. Mar 11, 2009 #4
    Can I use Newton's Law of Gravity here ? But I don't know either F or r and one of the m though

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook