How does the gravitational force between two objects change with distance?

In summary, the conversation is about a question that involves using a formula to calculate the forces involved in a situation. The formula includes the variable "r" which represents the distance between the center of the Earth and the object in question. The conversation also mentions the cancellation of certain variables in the formula, making it easier to solve the question.
elle
Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
You know what r is in both cases so just use the formula to express F and F' for both cases and compare the two results.

I still don't understand...where does R come into the formula?? :rolleyes:

r is the distance between the center of the Earth and the object in question. That is the symbol people usually use but I just noticed the picture you showed uses "d" to represent that distance so r is the same as your d.

Ok please bear with me if I sound dumb...never taken physics before so I'm finding it realli difficult :cry:
So do I have to find m1 and m2? And for G I've been given an approximation for it, and I don't know if I'm suppose to use it :confused:

Assuming that neither the mass of the plane nor of the Earth change then they both cancel out - along with G! They made it really convenient for you. :)

Related to How does the gravitational force between two objects change with distance?

1. How does the force of gravity affect objects on Earth?

The force of gravity is what keeps objects on Earth grounded and prevents them from floating away. It is a force of attraction between any two objects with mass. The more massive an object is, the stronger its gravitational force. On Earth, this force is what keeps us from floating off into space and also determines the weight of an object.

2. What is the difference between mass and weight?

Mass is a measure of the amount of matter in an object, while weight is a measure of the force of gravity acting on an object. Mass is measured in kilograms (kg) while weight is measured in Newtons (N). On Earth, an object's mass and weight are directly proportional, but on other planets with different gravitational forces, the weight of an object may change while its mass remains the same.

3. How does the distance between two objects affect the gravitational force between them?

The gravitational force between two objects decreases as the distance between them increases. This is known as the inverse-square law, which states that the force of gravity is inversely proportional to the square of the distance between two objects. This means that as the distance between two objects doubles, the gravitational force between them decreases by a factor of four.

4. How does gravity affect the motion of objects?

Gravity affects the motion of objects by causing them to accelerate towards the center of the Earth. This acceleration is known as the acceleration due to gravity and is approximately 9.8 meters per second squared (m/s²) on Earth. This means that objects will fall towards the ground at a rate of 9.8 m/s², regardless of their mass.

5. What is the difference between Newton's law of universal gravitation and Einstein's theory of general relativity?

Newton's law of universal gravitation states that every object in the universe is attracted to every other object with a force that is directly proportional to the product of their masses and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them. Einstein's theory of general relativity, on the other hand, explains gravity as the curvature of spacetime caused by the presence of mass and energy. It is a more comprehensive theory that accounts for the effects of gravity on a larger scale, such as the motion of planets and galaxies.