1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Gravitational related problem

1. Oct 30, 2005 #1
    Help, can someone please give me advice or hints on how to do this question.

http://tinypic.com/f44fnr.jpg

I would provide working but I don't even know where to start :confused:

We are supposed to use this formula:

http://tinypic.com/f44kza.jpg

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 30, 2005 #2

Tide

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You know what r is in both cases so just use the formula to express F and F' for both cases and compare the two results.

4. Oct 30, 2005 #3
    I still don't understand...where does R come into the formula?? :uhh:

5. Oct 30, 2005 #4

Tide

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

r is the distance between the center of the Earth and the object in question. That is the symbol people usually use but I just noticed the picture you showed uses "d" to represent that distance so r is the same as your d.

6. Oct 30, 2005 #5
    Ok please bear with me if I sound dumb...never taken physics before so I'm finding it realli difficult :cry:
    So do I have to find m1 and m2? And for G I've been given an approximation for it, and I dunno if I'm suppose to use it :confused:

7. Oct 30, 2005 #6

Tide

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Assuming that neither the mass of the plane nor of the Earth change then they both cancel out - along with G! They made it really convenient for you. :)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?