Gravitational Waves: Constant Motion Through Spacetime

In summary, Gravitational waves are predicted by Einstein's theory of General Relativity and are produced by accelerating masses. They do not carry gravitational energy themselves, but they do interact with each other and other forms of energy, making them a source of gravity. This means that they can be monitored and measured in the fabric of spacetime, and their existence has been confirmed by observations and experiments.
tonyb1969
Gravitational "waves"

First, I confess that I am not a physicist by training; I work for an RF engineering firm. However, I study theoretical and astrophysics from those who have the extensive math background, and attempt to conceptualize their theories. I am not a conspiratist, and I certainly hope never to initiate a crackpot subject. My only purpose is to share ideas that wake me up at night with those who may be able to steer me in the proper direction. Okay, enough of the disclaimer.

If we are hurtling through space at high rates of speed, would not each object be moving through the fabric of spacetime constantly? Wouldn't this result in constant wakes of gravity waves? I picture putting a sphere into a large pool of water and moving it quickly from one end to the other--there would be swirls of wake following it until the water settled again. Would not the same apply to massive objects that curve space in all dimensions (like a sphere in water) moving rapidly through spacetime? When I think of some descriptions of Einstein's vision (a ball on a trampoline, for example), it fails to capture this movement through space, which according to expansion theory, we are.

In short, if our currently accepted view of mass curving spacetime in all dimensions (resulting in the effect we call gravity), should we not expect wakes of gravity waves/disturbances in the fabric of spacetime that we could constantly monitor?

Physics news on Phys.org

tonyb1969 said:
If we are hurtling through space at high rates of speed, would not each object be moving through the fabric of spacetime constantly?
Every object advances trough spacetime, even if at rest in space. And inertial movement is equivalent to rest anyway.
tonyb1969 said:
Wouldn't this result in constant wakes of gravity waves?
No. GR predicts only that accelerated masses produce gravitational waves. Just like accelerated loaded particles produce EM-waves.
tonyb1969 said:
I picture putting a sphere into a large pool of water and moving it quickly from one end to the other--there would be swirls of wake following it until the water settled again. Would not the same apply to massive objects that curve space in all dimensions (like a sphere in water) moving rapidly through spacetime? When I think of some descriptions of Einstein's vision (a ball on a trampoline, for example), it fails to capture this movement through space, which according to expansion theory, we are.
This analogies have little to do, with the model of curved space time in GR. And the expansion doesn't imply that we are moving.
tonyb1969 said:
In short, if our currently accepted view of mass curving spacetime in all dimensions (resulting in the effect we call gravity), should we not expect wakes of gravity waves/disturbances in the fabric of spacetime that we could constantly monitor?
If there where big accelerated masses nearby, would expect to measure such waves.

Many thanks, A.T. I will read up on the sections of GR implied by your statements.

Thanks, Naty1. I will read. Also, A.T., it makes perfect conceptual sense that the space fabric would be expanding equivalient to our space in the universe now that I think of it.

I have another question about the waves.

Suppose there are 2 neutron star rotating very close to each other emitting huge amounts of GW and spiralling towards each other. They lose energy, hence, they lose mass too, correct? The energy (and mass?) is carried away by the waves

But GW themselves do not gravitate, as far as I know! So before we had gravitation emiting by like 5 solar masses, after the merge there is only 4.9 solar masses left and 0.1 mass in a form of the gravitational waves.

But that 0.1M does not emit the gravitation!

Dmitry67 said:
But GW themselves do not gravitate

Yes they do.

I read it here:
http://math.ucr.edu/home/baez/physics/Relativity/GR/energy_gr.html

Here Gmu,nu is the Einstein curvature tensor, which encodes information about the curvature of spacetime, and Tmu,nu is the so-called stress-energy tensor, which we will meet again below. Tmu,nu represents the energy due to matter and electromagnetic fields, but includes NO contribution from "gravitational energy". So one can argue that "gravitational energy" does NOT act as a source of gravity. On the other hand, the Einstein field equations are non-linear; this implies that gravitational waves interact with each other (unlike light waves in Maxwell's (linear) theory). So one can argue that "gravitational energy" IS a source of gravity.

Is it wrong?

I think you're misinterpreting that. The first part has to do with the definition of the tensors in the Einstein field equations, and the second part more or less confirms my point.

Look at it this way - gravitational waves travel along null geodesics, right? A gravitational wave and an electromagnetic wave will travel along the same paths. A mass can gravitational deflect a beam of light, and to conserve momentum, it is (ever so slightly) attracted to that beam of light. Since gravitational radiation follows that same path, the same thing happens to it.

Related to Gravitational Waves: Constant Motion Through Spacetime

1. What are gravitational waves?

Gravitational waves are ripples in the fabric of spacetime, caused by the acceleration of massive objects. They were predicted by Albert Einstein's theory of general relativity and were first detected in 2015 by the LIGO experiment.

2. How do gravitational waves travel through space?

Gravitational waves travel at the speed of light and can travel through any material or medium. They are able to pass through objects without being affected, making them difficult to detect.

3. What causes gravitational waves?

Gravitational waves are caused by the acceleration of massive objects, such as colliding black holes or neutron stars. As these objects accelerate, they create ripples in the fabric of spacetime that propagate outward.

4. How are gravitational waves detected?

Gravitational waves are detected using extremely sensitive instruments called interferometers, which measure tiny changes in the distance between two objects. When a gravitational wave passes through the interferometer, it causes a small change in the distance between the objects, which can be detected.

5. What are the potential applications of gravitational waves?

Gravitational waves can provide us with a new way of observing and studying the universe. They can help us better understand the behavior of black holes and other massive objects, as well as the origins of the universe. They can also be used to test the predictions of general relativity and potentially lead to new technologies, such as more accurate space navigation systems.