Gravitational Waves: Is Gravity a Force in GR?

In summary, the conversation discusses whether gravity is considered a force in the context of General Relativity (GR). While the common answer is that it is not a force, but rather the curvature of space, the concept of gravitational waves and their propagation at the speed of light raises some questions. It is clarified that gravitational waves do not directly interact with particles like a traditional force, but rather alter the spacetime geometry and can appear to exert a classical force. However, the exact nature of this interaction is still not fully understood. The conversation concludes with the suggestion of self-teaching GR and asking for recommendations for introductory textbooks.
Mononoke
Hello,

I have a BA physics but I've never taken GR. My question is whether gravity is a force in GR? the answer i get everywhere is that it isn't a force, but rather the curvature of space. And objects moving under 'gravity' is simply them moving along a geodesic. But then i keep hearing the words gravitational waves and how they propagate at the velocity of light.

isn't this something like a force?

Physics news on Phys.org
No, not really. Gravitational waves are merely changes in the curvature in spacetime. They don't interact with particles directly, in the way a force does, but rather by means of altering the spacetime geometry change the geodesics, and thus can appear to exert a classical force.

Nabeshin said:
No, not really. Gravitational waves are merely changes in the curvature in spacetime. They don't interact with particles directly, in the way a force does, but rather by means of altering the spacetime geometry change the geodesics, and thus can appear to exert a classical force.
You are stating that gravitational waves do not interact with a particle as a matter of fact. We do not know that.

For instance gravitational waves might interact with charged particles.

Bottom line is we simply do not know as we are not even close to being able to measure gravitational waves themselves.

Nabeshin said:

oh ok. Maybe i should teach myself GR. Any decent introductory textbooks.

What are gravitational waves?

Gravitational waves are ripples in the fabric of space-time that are caused by the acceleration of massive objects. They were predicted by Albert Einstein's theory of general relativity.

How are gravitational waves different from electromagnetic waves?

Gravitational waves are fundamentally different from electromagnetic waves. Electromagnetic waves are created by the oscillation of electric and magnetic fields, while gravitational waves are created by the acceleration of massive objects. Electromagnetic waves can travel through a vacuum, while gravitational waves require a medium (space-time) to propagate.

How can we detect gravitational waves?

Gravitational waves can be detected through their effects on the fabric of space-time. The most common method is using interferometers, which measure tiny changes in the distance between two objects caused by passing gravitational waves. Other methods include observing the effects of gravitational waves on the orbits of objects and using pulsar timing arrays.

Is gravity a force in general relativity?

In general relativity, gravity is not considered a force, but rather a curvature in the fabric of space-time caused by the presence of massive objects. This is known as the curvature of space-time. However, in the weak field limit, general relativity reduces to Newton's law of gravity, which can be thought of as a force.

What can we learn from studying gravitational waves?

Studying gravitational waves can provide us with insights into some of the most extreme and violent events in the universe, such as the collision of two black holes or the explosion of a supernova. It can also help us test and refine our understanding of general relativity and the nature of gravity. Additionally, it can open up new avenues for studying the universe that are not possible with traditional astronomy methods.