How does gravity affect rotation?

In summary, the conversation discusses the effect of a planet's gravity field on a rocket flying past. It is noted that the planet's gravity will pull the object closer and can also affect its rotation, although in most scenarios, this effect is not significant. However, in low Earth orbit, the gravity gradient torque can have a noticeable impact on the spacecraft's attitude. A formal treatment of this problem is provided for the original poster's reference.
Kirl
I think this is an aproriate forum to ask this, I'm curious to the effect a planets gravity field has on a rocket flying past.

I know it would simply pull in the object harder the closer it gets to it, but does it affect the rotation of the rocket as well? If one slingshots around a planet would the rocket always point the direction it was going in, or would it simply move around the planet in it's original orientation?

I need this info for a game I'm working on, but I found I'm not actually as familliar with gravity as I always thought I was... :wink:

Astronomy news on Phys.org
There are small tidal effects caused by the fact that the planet will have a stronger pull on the near side of the rocket than the far side. This can apply a torque and change the rotation rate. However, in most realistic scenarios, this force would be far too small to be noticable. It's only important when the length of the rocket is comparable to its distance to the planet.

That is not correct. The gravity gradient torque is a significant effect in low Earth orbit. The Space Station is typically in "torque equilibrium attitude", the spacecraft attitude in which the gravity gradient and aerodynamic torques cancel one another.

I stand corrected. Here is a more formal treatment of the problem for the OP:

http://www.aoe.vt.edu/~cdhall/courses/aoe4140/SatDy.pdf"

Last edited by a moderator:

1. How does gravity affect the rotation of celestial bodies?

Gravity is the force that governs the motion of objects in the universe. In the case of celestial bodies, such as planets and stars, gravity plays a crucial role in their rotation. The gravitational pull of larger objects, such as the sun, can cause smaller objects to orbit around them. This creates a rotational motion as the smaller objects move around the larger one.

2. Can gravity affect the speed of rotation?

Yes, gravity can affect the speed of rotation of celestial bodies. The strength of gravity and the distance between objects can impact the rotational speed. For example, the closer a planet is to the sun, the faster it will rotate around it due to the stronger gravitational pull.

3. How does the shape of a celestial body affect its rotation?

The shape of a celestial body can affect its rotation in two ways. First, the distribution of mass within a body can impact its rotational speed. Objects with a larger mass towards their center will rotate slower than those with a more uniform mass distribution. Second, the shape of a celestial body can also cause it to experience wobbling or precession in its rotation due to the gravitational pull of other objects.

4. Can gravity affect the direction of rotation?

Yes, gravity can affect the direction of rotation of celestial bodies. In the solar system, for example, all the planets rotate in the same direction due to the gravitational influence of the sun. However, in some cases, external forces such as collisions or close encounters with other objects can alter the direction of rotation.

5. How does gravity affect the stability of rotation?

Gravity is essential for the stability of rotation in the universe. The gravitational pull of larger objects keeps smaller objects in orbit, preventing them from flying off into space. Additionally, the gravitational force of the moon on the Earth helps stabilize its rotation and keeps it from wobbling too much. Without gravity, the rotational stability of celestial bodies would be greatly affected.