Gravity & Atraction: Questions about Earth's Orbit

• Thread starter igurmendez
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Gravity
In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of gravity and orbits and why objects, such as the moon, orbit instead of being directly attracted to Earth. The conversation explains that the moon is pulled towards Earth in the same way as we are, but its tangential movement prevents it from hitting the Earth. It also mentions how the closer an object is to Earth, the faster it orbits due to the surface curvature. Finally, there is a discussion about the role of centrifugal force in understanding orbits.
igurmendez
I have a question, concerning gravity and orbits.

We are now orbiting around the sun, so does the moon around us.

Why isn't the moon atracted, like us, to the Earth without orbiting around it?
What do objetcs orbit instead of being atracted directly?

Physics news on Phys.org
igurmendez said:
I have a question, concerning gravity and orbits.

We are now orbiting around the sun, so does the moon around us.

Why isn't the moon atracted, like us, to the Earth without orbiting around it?
What do objetcs orbit instead of being atracted directly?
The moon is pulled toward Earth in the same way we are. The only real difference is that the moon is also moving tangentially, and it just so happens to be moving at the right speed tangentially so that when falling toward earth, it never hits it! That's what an orbit is.

If you pointed a cannon at the horizon (i.e. horizontal) and shot the cannonball hard enough, it too would orbit the Earth just like the Moon. (assuming you shot it from a high enough altitude to eliminate air friction.)

Here's another way to think of it: If the Earth were flat with the same gravitational attraction then the moon would indeed hit the earth. However, because the Earth is a sphere and the moon is also moving tangentially, the surface of the Earth curves away at the same rate the moon is falling.

TurtleMeister said:
Here's another way to think of it: If the Earth were flat with the same gravitational attraction then the moon would indeed hit the earth. However, because the Earth is a sphere and the moon is also moving tangentially, the surface of the Earth curves away at the same rate the moon is falling.

That's nice idea, and you can see that the closer to the Earth, the faster the satellite would 'fall' because the surface of the Earth curves faster when you are closer to it. In reality, the closer the satellite, the faster it orbits (higher angular velocity)

I like to think of it just as equilibrium of gravitational and centrifugal force. Down to Earth example, spinning the stone on the end of a rope. Rope tension being the gravity.
Things would make much more sense if there were rope tied to the Moon! I hate gravity. :)

looka said:
I like to think of it just as equilibrium of gravitational and centrifugal force.
That is a common mis-explanation. For one thing, there is no centrifugal force in an inertial frame. The centrifugal force explanation only comes into play when one is look at things from the perspective of a rotating frame in which the Moon is stationary. For another, this explanation does not work for elliptical orbits. Orbits are never perfectly circular.

Well yes, I was in fact just offering a differnet point of view, with fictional centrifugal force. True about elliptical orbits also. There is no eqilibrium there and kinetic energy does change. Never really tought about it that way, thanks.

Thank you guys, you really helped me on that one!

1. What is gravity?

Gravity is a force of attraction between two objects. It is responsible for holding objects together and keeping them in orbit around larger objects, such as the Earth around the sun.

2. How does gravity affect Earth's orbit?

Gravity is the force that keeps the Earth in orbit around the sun. The sun's gravity pulls on the Earth, causing it to constantly fall towards the sun, but the Earth's sideways motion keeps it from getting closer. This results in a circular orbit around the sun.

3. What causes the Earth to orbit the sun?

The Earth orbits the sun due to the force of gravity. The sun's massive size and strong gravitational pull keep the Earth in its orbit.

4. What is the difference between weight and mass?

Weight is a measure of the force of gravity acting on an object, while mass is a measure of the amount of matter in an object. Mass remains constant regardless of location, but weight can change depending on the strength of the gravitational force.

5. How does the distance between the Earth and the sun affect gravity?

The distance between the Earth and the sun does affect the strength of gravity. The farther away an object is from the sun, the weaker the force of gravity will be. This is why the Earth's orbit is elliptical, as it is slightly closer to the sun at certain points in the orbit and farther away at others.