Gravity problem - change in g due to oil pocket

In summary, the conversation discusses how to estimate the percentage by which the gravitational acceleration directly above a 1.40 km diameter spherical pocket of oil, located 1.40 km beneath the Earth's surface, would differ from the expected value for a uniform Earth. The conversation also mentions the use of the equation F=(m1m2G)/r^2 to calculate the gravitational attraction towards the oil pocket, and the consideration of the oil pocket as occupying the space of the Earth for the second part of the problem.
deuce123

Homework Statement

The center of a 1.40 km diameter spherical pocket of oil is 1.40 km beneath the Earth's surface.

Estimate by what percentage g directly above the pocket of oil would differ from the expected value of g for a uniform Earth? Assume the density of oil is 8.0×102kg/m3.

Homework Equations

F=(m1m2G)/r^2

The Attempt at a Solution

I got the mass for the pocket of oil, then subtracted the distance its beneath the Earth from the Earth's radius for the length, I ended up getting F=1.1x10^13N, and from here on I'm lost. I divided that number by the oils mass (1.12x10^12kg) and got a number close to g, then got a percentage for the difference, but it's still incorrect. Someone please tell me what I'm doing wrong. Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
deuce123 said:
subtracted the distance its beneath the Earth from the Earth's radius for the length,
Length of what?

Can you calculate the attraction you should feel (at the surface) towards the sphere of oil?
Note that it says "uniform Earth". I.e. you are to pretend the Earth has uniform density, apart from the oil pocket.
On that basis, what would be the gravitational attraction to the sphere of Earth that the oil has replaced?

haruspex said:
Length of what?

Can you calculate the attraction you should feel (at the surface) towards the sphere of oil?
Note that it says "uniform Earth". I.e. you are to pretend the Earth has uniform density, apart from the oil pocket.
On that basis, what would be the gravitational attraction to the sphere of Earth that the oil has replaced?
I'm confused as too what you mean, do you mean calculate the attraction between the sphere of oil and Earth if it were at Earth's surface? And for the second part you mean consider the sphere of oil as a part of the mass of earth? ( remove a portion of the Earth of same size and get the total change in mass??) Can you also explain why the method I use did not work out, I'm interested as too why it didn't work. And for L I mean the length from the center of the Earth to the center of the sphere of oil

deuce123 said:
do you mean calculate the attraction between the sphere of oil and Earth if it were at Earth's surface?
No. Consider an object on the surface of the Earth, directly above the oil pocket. What gravitational attraction, (as an acceleration) does the oil pocket have for the object? In this part, ignore the Earth.
deuce123 said:
for the second part you mean consider the sphere of oil as a part of the mass of earth?
No. As in the first part, I am asking about the attraction towards the pocket. But in this case, consider the pocket as occupied by earth, not by oil.
deuce123 said:
for L I mean the length from the center of the Earth to the center of the sphere of oil
Why is that interesting? What equation did you plug that into and on what basis?

1. What is a "gravity problem"?

A gravity problem refers to any situation where the gravitational force acting on an object is altered or affected in some way, leading to changes in the acceleration due to gravity.

2. How does an "oil pocket" affect the acceleration due to gravity?

An oil pocket, or any other type of mass distribution, can change the acceleration due to gravity because it alters the distribution of mass in the Earth's crust. This can lead to variations in the strength of the gravitational force in different locations.

3. Can changes in g due to an oil pocket be measured?

Yes, changes in g due to an oil pocket can be measured using sensitive instruments such as gravimeters. These instruments can detect even small changes in the Earth's gravitational field and can be used to map out areas where g may be different due to variations in mass distribution.

4. How does the depth of an oil pocket affect the change in g?

The depth of an oil pocket can have an impact on the change in g because the closer the pocket is to the Earth's surface, the more it will affect the mass distribution in that area. This can lead to larger changes in g compared to pockets that are located deeper underground.

5. Can an oil pocket cause significant changes in g?

Yes, an oil pocket can cause significant changes in g depending on its size and location. In some cases, the changes in g may be large enough to affect the accuracy of measurements and need to be taken into account when conducting scientific experiments or surveys in the area.