Gravity: push, pull, or does not exist?

In summary: QUESTIONS?In summary, this high schooler is proposing that the force of gravity is not actually a pulling force but rather a pushing force caused by subatomic particles. He claims that this concept has not been properly explored yet and that more experiments need to be done in order to prove or disprove his theory.
"pull" is just a term of convenience for a evident source of force being in the same direction as its exertion.

since this is not really a force, just a natural "law of the universe", it's not really a "pull"

Physics news on Phys.org
terrabyte said:
the reaction is they're constantly falling towards each other <duh>

That is still apart of the action

Yes, I agree with you that pull is just a term of convience. There is no such thing as a pull, yet many people associate gravity with it. Einstein used this pull model to describe space-time curvature, so space-time curvature is this convience term "pull" expressed in a different way.

1. The irregular orbit can be explained just like eliptical orbits can be explained. Other gravitational sources and celestial impacts change the speed of the planet changing its orbit from what should be a circle in idle conditions into an irregular orbit.

2. Okay, but there isn't any observational evidence to say that Pluto is drifting away, coming closers or staying exactly the same. So until we can measure any change we won't know whos right. And that probably won't happen for a long long time.

3. Yes they have finite mass and finite density.

4. I think "weight is how much gravity affects something" would be a more accurate definition. Atleast according to the space-time theory of gravity.

5. With this you are dealing with a realm above are normal 4 dimensional world in which we see space. So it can be hard to imagine if you're not use to it. Anchored is just a term.

It's obvious that you have never heard of Mercury's orbit. Yes, I agree no observational evidence Pluto is drifting. It should be drifting ever so slightly if space-time curvature were keeping it in place, but it isn't because its orbit is sustained by sub-atomic forces. I have come to the conlcusion that space-time does not rely on mass, but it relies on density. The definition that I gave you of mass and your new one are similar. May I ask you what is the evidence of space-time curvature? Is it the bending of light?

urtalkinstupid said:
It's obvious that you have never heard of Mercury's orbit. Yes, I agree no observational evidence Pluto is drifting. It should be drifting ever so slightly if space-time curvature were keeping it in place, but it isn't because its orbit is sustained by sub-atomic forces. I have come to the conlcusion that space-time does not rely on mass, but it relies on density. The definition that I gave you of mass and your new one are similar. May I ask you what is the evidence of space-time curvature? Is it the bending of light?

Space time doesn't rely on density it relies on mass! You can't come up with conclusions like the one you just made out of the blue! Although, I will admit that very dense objects will have their space-time curvature focused more towards their center.

And yes, space-time does bend light, this has been proven by observing the positions of stars in a solar eclipse. (The stars are a at a "different" position because the sun bends the light which would normally miss us)

There are other proofs for space-time too, like... oh... I don't know.. Relativity?

gravity

WOW, nothing can be proven in science; it's all THEORETICAL. No, it would seem more logical that space-time be the result of dense objects rather than massive objects. Relativity does not prove ANYTHING. General Relativity was based off of Newton's theories. Newton proposed gravity, but he did not know how it worked. Einstein, through Newton, explained this form of gravity. He did a poor job of doing so. Mathematics doesn't mean anything. You can manipulate a mathematical equation how you wanted to make it work. Do they have an equation for gravitational lensing? Oh, light is not constant.

Stephen Mooney said:
Mathematics is a human invention and is not the ultimate logic of the Universe.

Sorry, I should have used the word "support" instead of theory. My point is that relativity supports space-time curvature.

WOW, nothing can be proven in science; it's all THEORETICAL.
Relativity does not prove ANYTHING.

You don't have to point that out. Why don't you just save us the time and just come out and say realitivity is wrong.

No, it would seem more logical that space-time be the result of dense objects rather than massive objects.

How is it more logical? Please explain.

He did a poor job of doing so.

How did he do a poor job? Explain?

Mathematics doesn't mean anything. You can manipulate a mathematical equation how you wanted to make it work.

Of course math is useless! I mean its not like are modern world is based off of math! Surely math doesn't really mean anything. Its not like electricity, cars, planes, spacecraft s, computers, phones, electronics, buildings, bridges, roads, medicine, boats, agriculture, weather forcasting, economics, construction and especially astrophysics have anything to do with math. People don't really use math, they just go with there instincts and what they feel is right when launching a probe to Mars or calculating the proper dose for a new drug. Just like how you feel your theory is right without any support.

Do they have an equation for gravitational lensing? Oh, light is not constant.

As a matter of fact the do: http://www.astro.soton.ac.uk/~crk/PH227/node43.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Mooney
Mathematics is a human invention and is not the ultimate logic of the Universe.

Who is Stephen Mooney? Is he suppost to be some brillant genius that everyone looks up to?

By the way urtalkingstupid, what type of math courses have you taken? I'm just wondering what type of eduction you've had.

Last edited by a moderator:
When I said "He did a poor job of doing so," that's exactly what I meant.

He based his experiments in General Relativity on Newton's Law of Gravity. Newton did not have a thorough understanding of how gravity worked. Hence, how gravity is so poorly preceived as. How is someone able to ellaborate on something that is not even understood? You say that you don't believe that gravity is a pull or push, but gravity is really the effect of space-time curvature? Well, let me squash your little precious belief. Space-time curvature was just another way of explaining the pull affect of gravity; they are the same. By saying that you do not believe in gravity being a push or a pull, you also say that there isn't a force governing our attraction to the earth. What kind of force is associated with space-time curvature. By force I mean vector force like up, down, left, right? You are also going against gravity being one of the four natural forces. So, it seems that you go against Einstein in a lot of things also.

Now, on to how Einstein did not describe the behavior of light very well. Light is not constant; IT IS RELATIVE. Everything is relative. Nothing is constant. Einstein says that light keeps its constant velocity due to length contraction and time dilation. How can something physically get smaller as it goes faster? Does it lose length just out of nowhere? The Lorentz Transformation is another mathematical fallacy. The shortening of the objects is just something our mind sees, because it can not calculate something that is moving fast with accuracy. The speed of light DOES depend on the velocity of the source or the object. If you were moving towards light at a high speed wouldn't that light be moving towards you faster? You would say, "No." Why? The object goes through length contraction making it shrink, therefore the light has to travel farther to make up for that speed. WEIRD!

Density seems more logical. You question me on that statement. Now, I'll ellaborate. Take a huge star. It runs out of fuel and is left with a core that gravity acts upon. Before gravity takes effect, the sapce-time curvature that the star produces is not intense enough to bend light, but once that star condenses and becomes more dense, the space-time curvature is more intense, though that object has the same mass. Something less dense cause less space-time curvature, while something more dense cause more space-time curvature.

That is a well defined equation based on a theory that should be thrown out. I think it should be density NOT mass that affects anything.

Stephen Mooney is a man who recently made a paradigm of the universe. It explains a lot of things that Newton or Einstein tried to explain, but as I stated earlier, they failed to give a good description of what was happening. http://members.westnet.com.au/paradigm/

Actually, I'm fixing to be as junior in high school. I just finished pre-cal this past school year. This upcoming school year I'm skipping Calculus AB AP, and I'm going straight to Calculus BC AP. I've only had one year of academic physics also, and I took physics in 9th grade. This coming school year I'm taking Physics B AP. So, I'm sure you have more knowledge of math than I. I'm sure you are also much older than I.

Now, may I ask you a question that will reveal your intelligence? What is the highest level of grammar that you have completed?

Entropy said:
I mean its not like are modern world is based off of math! Surely math doesn't really mean anything.

I think what you meant was "our." heh :rofl:

Here's another link. The only thing I do not support on this site is that they believe in black holes, but I can't be too picky.
http://gravity.ontheinter.net/

Last edited by a moderator:
hey entropy, alkatran, and terrabyte! are u aware that Newton's third law has to deal with force? if you don't believe gravity is a force, then why give me the equal and opposite reaction to it? that right there shows me you are wavering in ur inferior beliefs. HAHAHA! i will come out and say that i think einstein was wrong, his beliefs about gravity were wrong, and u are all wrong. u should bow to the superiority of my beliefs on gravity...

"Density" has nothing to do with the amount of bending of space-time other than reducing the distances one can achieve in relation to another object. Say you have a 1kg metal weight and you also have a 1kg balloon of air. they are both exerting the same "pull" (space curvature "footprint") but you can put another object MUCH closer to the center of mass on the metal weight, so the "pull" is much more evident.

it's all about mass.

we all know that u are probably in ur late 40's arguing with a couple of teenagers about gravity and stuff

he's not arguing, he's "educating" you. And from last i read, he's not much older than you...

Let's say that you condense that 1kg of "air" (not that specific are we?) to make it more dense. The amount of space-time curvature is increased. Same mass, less volume, more space-time curvature.

wow entropy... i just read how u called out urtalkinstupid's math level and I've got to say real mature.. we all know that u are probably in ur late 40's arguing with a couple of teenagers about gravity and stuff. i hope i will one day be as successful as u when i turn 49.. living with mom, etc.

I was mearly curious. I just wanted to know if understood what he was saying about math because I find it hard for anyone to think math is meaningless and really know a lot about it.

Whats so immature about it? Lots of people ask what other people's math level is so they can better explain things to them on their level. I'm sorry that you're so offended by it.

Just so you know I'm 17 and about to be a senior in high school. I'm taking AP Physics C next year along with AP Calculus (even though I already thought myself Calculus). It was to bad I couldn't graduate this year by going into duel in rollment, but since I was in IB (International Baccalaureate) I had to complete some other non-academic courses (i.e. life management and PE). I am also in the physics club and JETS (although it was canceled for some reason last year). And there are people over 40 on these forums (including mods and mentors) that may find what you said offensive. Real professional physicists spend there time here and seriously exchange knowledge and develop theories here.

Actually, I'm fixing to be as junior in high school. I just finished pre-cal this past school year. This upcoming school year I'm skipping Calculus AB AP, and I'm going straight to Calculus BC AP. I've only had one year of academic physics also, and I took physics in 9th grade. This coming school year I'm taking Physics B AP. So, I'm sure you have more knowledge of math than I. I'm sure you are also much older than I.

Wow, you think I'm a lot older? I'm humbled. :)

I think what you meant was "our." heh

Your one to talk. Let's look at all your mistakes.

Yes, i agree about the elliptical modification of cirlces when viewed at an angle.

Circlces? What?!

WHAT is the opposite reacion of this pull.

Reacion? Do you mean reaction?

Althouh this change is unoticed at Earth's distance.

Its spelled "although" and "unnoticed".

I'll ellaborate on this onc ei get the answer to question #3.

Is it really that hard to spell "one". And since when was there an "e" in "I".

I think I made my point. Are we here to talk about insignificate grammar errors or physics?

He based his experiments in General Relativity on Newton's Law of Gravity. Newton did not have a thorough understanding of how gravity worked. Hence, how gravity is so poorly preceived as.

Are you saying Newton's equations don't work? Because if they don't then why aren't satellites falling from space and why are we able to launch probes with such accuracy? It seems that although Newton didn't exactly know what gravity was he was sure able to describe its effects well.

Now, on to how Einstein did not describe the behavior of light very well. Light is not constant; IT IS RELATIVE. Everything is relative. Nothing is constant. Einstein says that light keeps its constant velocity due to length contraction and time dilation. How can something physically get smaller as it goes faster?

In length contraction it doesn't get physically smaller. It appears smaller for an observer. And light doesn't keep it's velocity due to length contraction or time dilation.

So you're just assuming everything is relative?

The Lorentz Transformation is another mathematical fallacy. The shortening of the objects is just something our mind sees, because it can not calculate something that is moving fast with accuracy. The speed of light DOES depend on the velocity of the source or the object. If you were moving towards light at a high speed wouldn't that light be moving towards you faster? You would say, "No." Why? The object goes through length contraction making it shrink, therefore the light has to travel farther to make up for that speed. WEIRD!

The speed of light does not change. If you are speeding toward an observer and you shoot a beam of light the light's wavefront still only moves at c but when the observer "sees" it, the peaks in the EM wave move pass him faster, or in other words the light wave's frequency is blue-shifted.

This is how the police can see how fast you're going on the highway by knowing at what frequecy the infared beam they shoot at you is, and then see how much the frequency is shifted when the atoms in you're car absorb and then emit it back to the ray gun.

You should learn more about this in AP physics B along with relativity.

Light doesn't not behave like marcoscopic objects at slow everyday speeds you are use to in everyday life. It hard for me to put into words all the quantum mechanical process that go along with emitting light at high speeds. Maybe someone else can describe it better than I can.

Same mass, less volume, more space-time curvature.

No its the same amount of curvature just compressed into a smalled space.

Case in point, take a soccer ball, stand 1 ft away from it.

now don't move at all but "densify" the soccer ball as much as you want but don't move it from its center of mass. it will not change the amount it "pulls" on me one bit.

you can compress that mass down to a singularity and still i would not feel the slightest bit more "pull" from that ball

Wow, you dug deep into past posts! Nice work, Entropy.
Entropy said:
I'm taking AP Physics C next year along with AP Calculus (even though I already thought myself Calculus).

How did you accomplish this?

No, I'm not saying Newton's equations do not work; I'm saying that his equations are not an explanation of what is really happening. Even you say that is not what is happening. "Gravity is not a push or pull; it is space-time curvature that counts for all of actions and reactions."

The speed of light is NOT constant. Why can't cops get accurate readings if they are moving at a constant velocity? www.aliceinphysics.com

If it is the same, why is it when a star condenses to a one dimensional string it has the same mas sof the star but more space-time curvature resulting in a more powerful gravitational pull?

How did you accomplish this?

I opened a Calculus book and learned it. I read just about every book on math or science I can get my hands on.

The speed of light is NOT constant. Why can't cops get accurate readings if they are moving at a constant velocity?

Okay let's say someone is speeding at 80 mph and a cop is going 50 mph. If the cop trys to make a reading then it will read 30 mph because from the cop's inertial frame of reference the speeding car is going 30 mph. Thats the whole principle of relativity.

but more space-time curvature resulting in a more powerful gravitational pull?

It doesn't have a stronger gravitational "pull". Its just that a smaller area of space is being warped by the same magnitude of mass.

Last edited:
gravity

All-in-all, light is not constant. Get it through your heads. Einstein is not one of the best physicists. His ideas shouldn't be grasped so close to your dear little chest. Alice Law Try going there, absorb some information, and tell me what you think. Try keeping an open mind when viewing that source.

Take Stephen Hawking for instance. He was the cause for this theory of Hawking's Radiation. He proposed this theory as a way to explain the deteriation of black holes. Also stating that once information goes in, it can not come back out. Now, he is saying that this is not true. A theory that was viewed to be taking place, was crushed by the man who proposed it. Does that mean anything to you? In my proposal of gravity not being a pull, I noted that black holes do not exist. This being said, there is no reason for "information" to even become lost.

Well, can you give me a thorough explanation on why black holes have a further reach of space-time curvature than the neutron star it was "born" from? I mean so thorough that my HEAD EXPLODES.

Have you looked at any of the links that I have provided you?

Gravity is not a pull or a manifestation of curves in space-time.

All-in-all, light is not constant. Get it through your heads. Einstein is not one of the best physicists. His ideas shouldn't be grasped so close to your dear little chest. Alice Law Try going there, absorb some information, and tell me what you think. Try keeping an open mind when viewing that source.

Yes I've looked at it and I'm haven't changed my opinions because those are thought experiments that are incorrect. Why are they incorrect? Because that's not what happens in real life. Similar experiments have been done and they support Einstein's theories.

There is a thread where is this being discussed, there are people there that are much more knowledgeable than me, perhaps they have put in a way that you can more easily understand. https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=32600

Take Stephen Hawking for instance. He was the cause for this theory of Hawking's Radiation. He proposed this theory as a way to explain the deteriation of black holes.

No he didn't. Until then it was thought that black holes didn't radiated anything.

Also stating that once information goes in, it can not come back out. Now, he is saying that this is not true. A theory that was viewed to be taking place, was crushed by the man who proposed it.

It wasn't really a theory as much as it was a wager. Hawking simply made a bet with Kip Thorne that information would be lost inside of black holes. He lost the bet. What's your point here? That people can be wrong? Does that some how make Einstein wrong as well? Its not like information loss was some fundamental theory that's shattering modern physics.

This being said, there is no reason for "information" to even become lost.

So? Simply because we met bumps along the way trying to explain the universe means we should simply throw all we know away and start over?

Well, can you give me a thorough explanation on why black holes have a further reach of space-time curvature than the neutron star it was "born" from?

For the millionth time! They don't! The warp is more intense but its over a smaller area!

Have you looked at any of the links that I have provided you?

Yep, everyone.

uhhhh we all know that hawking was the first to propose that black holes radiate. urtalkinstupid is saying that this concept of hawking's radiation lead to the realization that black holes eventually "evaporate". i doubt that hawking's bet loss was meant to sway ur opinion about einstein... but it does show that maybe there are other things in astronomy that people need to reconsider.. like oh GR and SR.

you're not knowledgeable enough about the subject, or other subjects in this field to make such bold and sweeping statements and expect people to take you seriously.

if I'm working on my car and the kid next door comes by and says "hey if you put TWO batteries in your car it will run faster!" i'd tell him to piss off and go play Pokemon with his friends

but if the kid next door has a father who's an auto mechanic who works for Nascar and he comes over and says "hey your fuel seems to be running a little rich, it's having trouble turning over, you might want to adjust your choke and carbuerator" i might listen to what he's saying

entropy why is it that u still haven't answered urtalkinstupid's first question? u know... it's the one about mercury's orbit? do you even know what it looks like or why it is truly unique? if so please give me a more indepth explanation... and yes i saw ur measly excuse for an answer and i could've gotten that out of an encyclopedia.

oh here u go stupid(urtalkin): http://www.hermograph.com/science/mercuryd.htm

you don't have to know more than ME, you have to know more than AUTHORITIES on the SUBJECT.

putting that beside the point, I'm going to give you a tip. read and UNDERSTAND the current accepted theories from people with degrees and years more education than you before you embark on your trek to debunk them and rewrite the universe to suit your views.

you don't even understand space curvature and it's VERY basic, boilerplate stuff.

i think they even teach it to third graders are the natural science museum

gravity

Ok, let's go back to the subject of gravity not being a pull. Well, as entropy and terrabyte put it "space-time curvature causing an inclination." Gravity is the result of emission and absorption. This emission and absorption relies on density. I'm sure this concept is available to pre-schoolers through picture books. Everything gives off energy and absorbs energy. How does pull gravity or space-time curvature express this concept?

terrabyte, when the world was viewed as flat, it was something that no one could argue against. Even through observations the world seemed flat, but that thought doesn't run through our mind today, because we know that the world is sphere like. When Newton said that gravity was a force that resulted in two masses acting on each other depending on their distances, Einstein knew thought that wasn't the only thing happened, and he chose to ellaborate on that idea proposed by Newton. Theories are revised all the time. I think that the whole concept of gravity and light should be revised as well. Gravity can not possibly be an attractive force. It seems more logical with reality to be a repulsive force, and anyone who knows rational from irrational should know that. Missing mass in the universe? The universe expanding by a mysterious "repulsive" force? Galaxies moving away from each other?

terrabyte u can think of urtalkinstupid and me as present day columbuses... hehehe

urtalkinstupid said:

Well, can you give me a thorough explanation on why black holes have a further reach of space-time curvature than the neutron star it was "born" from? I mean so thorough that my HEAD EXPLODES.
They don't. And no one familiar with the subject says that they do.

beatrix kiddo said:
terrabyte u can think of urtalkinstupid and me as present day columbuses... hehehe
Or perhaps a pair of gibbering fools, no?

urtalkinstupid said:
Ok, let's go back to the subject of gravity not being a pull. Well, as entropy and terrabyte put it "space-time curvature causing an inclination." Gravity is the result of emission and absorption. This emission and absorption relies on density. I'm sure this concept is available to pre-schoolers through picture books. Everything gives off energy and absorbs energy. How does pull gravity or space-time curvature express this concept?

terrabyte, when the world was viewed as flat, it was something that no one could argue against. Even through observations the world seemed flat, but that thought doesn't run through our mind today, because we know that the world is sphere like. When Newton said that gravity was a force that resulted in two masses acting on each other depending on their distances, Einstein knew thought that wasn't the only thing happened, and he chose to ellaborate on that idea proposed by Newton. Theories are revised all the time. I think that the whole concept of gravity and light should be revised as well. Gravity can not possibly be an attractive force. It seems more logical with reality to be a repulsive force, and anyone who knows rational from irrational should know that. Missing mass in the universe? The universe expanding by a mysterious "repulsive" force? Galaxies moving away from each other?

Alright, first of all, observations were being made that suggested the Earth wasn't flat. I believe that these were made very early on. Observations such as why ships disappeared over the horizon, etc.

Now, explain to me why gravity, when seen as a space-time curve, is a push or a pull? Looks to me like there's NO DIFFERENCE whatsoever.

beatrix kiddo said:

As in being wrong, and clinging to wrong beliefs (despite evidence to the contrary) until your death bed?

(note: Columbus did not set out to prove the world round, he set out to prove that it was smaller than it is(and was generally thought to be in his time). He hit an unknown(to him) continent, thought he had reached India, and believed that he had reached India to his dying day.)

entropy why is it that u still haven't answered urtalkinstupid's first question? u know... it's the one about mercury's orbit? do you even know what it looks like or why it is truly unique? if so please give me a more indepth explanation... and yes i saw ur measly excuse for an answer and i could've gotten that out of an encyclopedia.

I admitted that I didn't not know about the irregularity of Mercury's orbit. I've tried to search for some references to it without success. But thank you for that link I'm reading it right now and my answer is the same.

The author claims that the problem is that Mercury has an elliptical orbit without a a gravitational source at one of it's foci. The thing is that you don't need to have an actual object there, simply a gravitation field, like from a distant object like another planet.

Another problem the author says:

But Mercury has a very eccentric orbit and it is millions of miles closer at perihelion than it is at aphelion, its farthest distance from the Sun. So it really has to move FAST there to stay in orbit. When Mercury is that close, the sun's gravity is even stronger. In Einstein's words, the curvature of space-time is greater here so Mercury "feels" like there is an extra mass here. That extra mass feels like it is trying to pull the planet inward. By giving Mercury this pull every three months, the orbit is kicked a bit, making it rotate very slowly in space. Remember our marble in the well? Suppose we give it a slight pull inwards every time it gets a little deeper in the well but not enough to pull it all the way in. The marble comes back out but not quite on the path it would have taken if we hadn't interfered. That's what the sun's gravity is doing. Newton's gravity is much simpler than Einstein's gravity but Einstein's cleared up the mystery of the orbit turning the wrong amount!

This is where he makes a mistake. As Mercury comes closer to the sun (i.e. gravity is stronger on it) it is falling into the sun a little so to speak but something else occurs with this. It speeds up as it falls therefore being "sling shotted" around the sun. The momentum it gained as it sped up allows it to continue on its predicted orbital path. This has been observed with just about all celestial bodies. Most commonly comets because they have very eccentric orbits.

terrabyte, when the world was viewed as flat, it was something that no one could argue against. Even through observations the world seemed flat, but that thought doesn't run through our mind today, because we know that the world is sphere like.

Acutally most cultures through out time didn't believe the world was flat at all. Very few ancient peoples believed in a flat Earth.

Missing mass in the universe? The universe expanding by a mysterious "repulsive" force? Galaxies moving away from each other?

What missing mass? Not all physicists believe that there needs to be dark matter in order to make up for missing mass. Many thought there needed to be missing mass because stars at the ends of galaxies moved just as fast as ones in the center. But many now theorize that stars at the ends of galaxies only appear to be moving faster at the moment because of certain types of waves moving though the galaxies.

The universe expanding by a mysterious "repulsive" force?

You mean momentum from the Big Bang? And it has been brought into question whether the universe is actually explanding (see below).

Galaxies moving away from each other?

Actually that too has been brought into question because gravity can red-shift light and make objects appear as if they are moving away at high speeds. Along with other sources of red-shift it is very possible that red-shift my not be a good tool for measuring objects' speeds.

Last edited:
Alkatran said:
Now, explain to me why gravity, when seen as a space-time curve, is a push or a pull?

Alkatran, I threw in space-time curvature as an alternative to the push or pull theories. I was not saying that space-time curvature had forces involved with it.

Janus, yes, I understand what you are saying. New question: How do things fall into black holes faster than they fall into massive stars given the fact that black holes are just a denser version of the neutron star they previously were? I don't know how to expalain exactly to get the answer I am seeking.

Entropy, so, I'm assuming that you are going against Einstein and his cosmological constant? By missing, I didn't necessarily undetectable. I was only reiterating from sources that I have encountered. I know there is no such thing as missing mass. The mass that is missing is theorized to be in the form of neutrinos and other sub-atomic particles. The universe isn't even expanding. Once again, I was only reiterating sources that go by theories proposed by Einstein. The Big Bang never happened. The red-shift that is associated with "gravity" having an affect on light. Is this caused by gravitational pull or rotating galaxies giving off gravitational fields? If I'm not mistaken, does something with space-time curvature give off gravitational fields when it is rotating?

jcsd, everyone is entitled to their own opinion. Whether that opinion be right or wrong. :biggrin:

Now, as for a better explanation for Mercury's odd orbit:
Stephen Mooney said:
It's known that Isaac Newton's theory of gravity is limited in its capacity to represent gravity. It required Relativity theory to express the situation with the advance in the perihelion of Mercury. However, the relativity is with the emission capacity of Mercury and the density of the emission of the Sun as Mercury passes the Sun at perihelion. At this point Mercury attains a state of decreased absorption of emission, which results in a slight decrease its attraction to the Sun. This is the reason for the advance in its perihelion.

I already know you people are going to disregard what this guy says.

P.S. Alkatran, there are differences between push, pull, and space-time curvature. Hope you guys can at least agree with me on this one. :frown:

Janus, yes, I understand what you are saying. New question: How do things fall into black holes faster than they fall into massive stars given the fact that black holes are just a denser version of the neutron star they previously were? I don't know how to expalain exactly to get the answer I am seeking.

they DON'T as we've been saying for the last 4 pages or so.

Assume a solid mass the size of the sun exists somewhere. you're floating 1 mile off its surface. the "pull" you feel from that object is a given amount, generally felt as your "weight".

Compress that "sun" mass down to the size of a tennis ball. now you're 50,000 miles off its surface (whatever the freaking radius of the sun may be) and you STILL feel the same pull, because the mass has NOT changed only the density.

however you CAN travel farther TOWARDS that mass, creating a stronger pull than the 1 mile distance you could travel in the "before" situation.

it's like you have a huge funnel and a big ball. The ball takes up a lot of space that can't be used by other objects riding on the funnel <orbits>. you compress that ball and it fits farther down inside the funnel, increasing the available usable space of the funnel, yet it does not change the funnel itself, or the funnel's effect on other objects riding on it.

Last edited:
So, why can't the normal star bendlight, but a black hole can bend light?

all mass bends light

only black holes have sufficient mass to bend it to where we can detect it.

to clarify, the light being "bent" is far closer to the black hole's total mass than the non compressed same mass as a star

That doen't seem to sway me in believing that mass affects space-time. Massive stars bend light at an angle, when black holes are said to bend light backwards. There is no mass difference, just mass is more concentrated. You are saying that this concentration of mass allows light to get closer? With the ability of light being able to get closer, it is bent backwards?