Exploring Gravity Wells: The Sun's "Awfully Long Way Down

• B
  • Thread starter Dr Wu
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Gravity
In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of gravity wells and how they are determined by the mass of an object. The participants also consider the possibility of gravity wells changing if the object is transformed, such as the Sun becoming a white dwarf or a black hole. They also mention the formula used to determine the depth of a gravity well and how it applies to different scenarios, such as a neutron star. The conversation ends with an appreciation for Isaac Newton's understanding of gravity.
Dr Wu
I recently came upon a wall chart that shows the 'gravity wells' of the various planets in our solar system. the chart does include a 'noises off'- style mention of the Sun's own gravity well, which is appended by the unhelpful comment: 'An awfully long way down'. I've since found out that for the Sun it's around the 19,000,000 km mark - which compared to the Earth's own 6,400 km gravity well, is indeed an awfully long way down.

It did get me thinking, however. I assume the depth of a gravity well is determined purely by the mass of a given object, rather than its density or surface gravity. As an example: were the Sun to be transformed into a white dwarf or even a black hole, would its gravity well be the same, I wonder? I should expect so, but I cannot be entirely sure. Indeed, I'm prepared to be proven wrong - especially when it comes to black holes, which seem to defy commonsense at every turn.

Astronomy news on Phys.org
Dr Wu said:
were the Sun to be transformed into a white dwarf or even a black hole, would its gravity well be the same
It would be the same down to the point marking the old surface (before contraction), so everything above that point would behave identically in both cases.
It would be different below the surface point, because, as you said, the amount of mass pulling you down is what matters,, and it is different in these two cases (i.e. with the regular star as you go down below its surface, you're leaving some mass behind; whereas with a compacted star you still have all that mass below).

Thanks, Bandersnatch. So, noting your qualifying remark regarding the surface point, I take it then that a solar-mass black hole (for example) would indeed have a deeper gravity well? By this I mean an added depth that coincides with the reduced diameter of the hole. I'm sorry if I've not made myself clear here.

Dr Wu said:
I take it then that a solar-mass black hole (for example) would indeed have a deeper gravity well? By this I mean an added depth that coincides with the reduced diameter of the hole.
Yes.
If you look at the infographic you're talking about, which I'm pretty sure is this one:
https://xkcd.com/681/
they provide the formula they used for scaling the picture, where depth of the well is proportional to mass and inversely proportional to radius. If you reduce radius and keep the mass constant, you get deeper well.
With black holes it either means that you get a much deeper well (if using event horizon as the radius), or an infinitely deep well (if using the infinitely small singularity).

Well, I did the calculations based on the formula contained in the chart, and after a few initial wild errors, I managed to derive the Sun's gravity well to about 19,400,000 km - which for me is pretty darned good. I also did the same for the Earth, and that checked out fine too. Then purely for the hell of it, I shrank the Sun down to a 20 km diameter neutron star (while retaining its original mass) and came up with a gravity well that measured a jaw-dropping 1.4 trillion kms! Surely that can't be right? Or if it comes to even within shouting distance of being correct, then I'm fully prepared to be amazed.

Dr Wu said:
1.4 trillion km
Looks about right.

I'm amazed.

PS. That Isaac Newton was a clever fellow.

Likes CollinsArg

1. What is a gravity well?

A gravity well is a region in space where the gravitational pull of a massive object, such as a planet or star, is strong enough to affect the motion of other objects around it. The larger the mass of the object, the stronger its gravity well will be.

2. How does the Sun's gravity well affect the planets in our solar system?

The Sun's gravity well is responsible for keeping the planets in our solar system in their orbits. The planets are constantly falling towards the Sun due to its gravitational pull, but their forward motion keeps them from getting pulled into the Sun.

3. Can gravity wells be explored?

Yes, gravity wells can be explored using spacecraft and other scientific instruments. Scientists can study the effects of gravity on objects and use this information to better understand the behavior of celestial bodies within a gravity well.

4. How far does the Sun's gravity well extend?

The Sun's gravity well extends to the edge of our solar system, also known as the heliopause. This is approximately 121 astronomical units (AU) away from the Sun, or about 18 billion kilometers.

5. What are some potential applications of studying gravity wells?

Studying gravity wells can help us understand the formation and evolution of our solar system and other celestial bodies. It can also aid in space exploration and navigation, as well as the development of new technologies such as gravitational wave detectors. Additionally, understanding gravity wells can provide insights into the fundamental laws of physics and the nature of gravity itself.