GRE Scores for Ivy League: Math Masters

In summary: I think I would have to get a good GRE score, but I'm not sure what that is.In summary, it depends on the school, but a good GRE score for Cornell would be around 1350.
erraticimpulse
This question may seem a little premature, since I'm only an undergrad, but what should GRE scores be if I want to get into Cornell or some other Ivy league school? I don't know if this has any impact, but if I was accepted I intend to pursue a master's in mathematics.

Physics news on Phys.org
I always try to do the best I can.

As mmapcpro indicated, just do your best. Get as high a score as possible, which hopefully reflects that you are a competent and knowledgeable student and not just a great at taking tests.

erraticimpulse said:
This question may seem a little premature, since I'm only an undergrad, but what should GRE scores be if I want to get into Cornell or some other Ivy league school?

It depends on the program you're applying to. I was applying to Physics, so they (all of the schools, ivy or not) were much more concerned about my Physics GRE score than the regular GRE. For the regular, they wanted a high math score (if you don't get nearly all of the math problems right, you shouldn't be in physics) and competent scores on the other sections.

You should remember two things, however. First, graduate school is not quite like undergrad, so a school's prestige will not be anywhere near universal across all disciplines. Don't aim to get into ivy league schools just because of what they are, ask your professors about their reputation and just apply to the best schools in your field (if you think you can get in). The other thing to remember is that graduate school is meant to focus on a single discipline. For maximum success in graduate school admission, you shouldn't be looking to distinguish yourself as an "overall good student" as you did in high school. Rather, you should be looking for specific ins within your field of interest. If possible, start on research early and get to know the professors at your undergraduate institution. Graduate schools look very kindly upon published undergrads.

Average GRE for Cornell in 2003 was 1350.

Just look on the whatever university's website to find out.

You should remember two things, however. First, graduate school is not quite like undergrad, so a school's prestige will not be anywhere near universal across all disciplines. Don't aim to get into ivy league schools just because of what they are, ask your professors about their reputation and just apply to the best schools in your field (if you think you can get in). The other thing to remember is that graduate school is meant to focus on a single discipline. For maximum success in graduate school admission, you shouldn't be looking to distinguish yourself as an "overall good student" as you did in high school. Rather, you should be looking for specific ins within your field of interest. If possible, start on research early and get to know the professors at your undergraduate institution. Graduate schools look very kindly upon published undergrads.

Hey those are some great points! I'm so used to thinking about competition as an undergrad. I may try to do all of my graduate stuff at the same college that I'm at, Binghamton University. They have a very rigorous math department and offer TA's to anyone pursing a master's in arts.

1. What is considered a good GRE score for Ivy League Math Masters programs?

A good GRE score for Ivy League Math Masters programs would be a score above 165 in the Quantitative section and above 160 in the Verbal section. However, it is important to note that a high GRE score is not the only factor considered in admissions for these programs.

2. Will having a lower GRE score decrease my chances of getting into an Ivy League Math Masters program?

While a high GRE score is an important factor, it is not the only factor considered in admissions for Ivy League Math Masters programs. Other factors such as letters of recommendation, research experience, and undergraduate coursework will also play a role in the admissions decision.

3. Can I retake the GRE if I am not satisfied with my score?

Yes, you can retake the GRE if you are not satisfied with your score. However, keep in mind that some programs may take into consideration all of your GRE scores, not just the highest one. It is important to check with individual programs to see their policies on multiple GRE scores.

4. Do Ivy League Math Masters programs have a minimum required GRE score?

No, Ivy League Math Masters programs do not have a minimum required GRE score. Admissions decisions are based on a holistic review of an applicant's entire application, including but not limited to their GRE score.

5. Is it possible to get into an Ivy League Math Masters program with a lower GRE score if I have strong letters of recommendation and research experience?

Yes, it is possible to get into an Ivy League Math Masters program with a lower GRE score if you have strong letters of recommendation and research experience. These factors, along with other aspects of your application, can help compensate for a lower GRE score. However, a high GRE score is still beneficial and can improve your chances of admission.