GRE Physics Exam: Calculator Rules & RPN Advice

In summary, the conversation is about the GRE subject exam in physics and the use of calculators during the test. It is mentioned that the test does not allow calculators, but some people are unsure or do not remember if they were allowed in the past. The test is described as multiple choice and designed for easy calculations without a calculator. The person speaking took the test and scored in the mid 600s, but notes that their score may not be good enough for their desired institution. It is also mentioned that some institutions do not require the GRE physics test, only the general test.
Bill Foster
Has anyone reading this post taken the GRE subject exam in physics? If so, do you know what calculators they allow? I have a HP48GX (or something like that).

If they won't allow that, can you recommend a good calculator that does RPN?

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't think they allow calculators. (I admit it's been quite a while since I took the GRE!)

As Doc Al mentioned, the GRE Physics Test does not allow any calculators. Sorry!

Great.

Actually, now that I recall, the test is multiple choice and set up so that any needed calculations are easy enough to do with pencil and paper. If you need to reach for a caculator, you're probably doing something wrong.

I took it yesterday. I answered 36 questions, so the best score I can hope for is in the mid 600s. I don't think it's a good score unless you take into consideration the fact that I don't have a degree in physics and my last physics courses were about 20 years ago. And the book I studied from is even older (probably the 1st edition of the Ohanian physics book). I didn't even study electromagnetics or quantum mechanics. Mainly optics, kinematics, thermodynamics and relativity.

My score probably isn't good enough to get me into Georgia Tech, where I applied. Fortunately for me, I also applied at UGA and GSU and neither of those institutions require the GRE physics test; they only require the GRE general, and I should do well on that.

Doc Al said:
I don't think they allow calculators. (I admit it's been quite a while since I took the GRE!)
I was still using a slide-rule back when I took it.:blushing: Don't remember if they were allowed though.

1. What is the purpose of the calculator on the GRE Physics Exam?

The calculator on the GRE Physics Exam is provided to assist with mathematical calculations. It is not necessary for all questions, but can be used for complex calculations, conversions, and to check answers.

2. Are there any restrictions on the type of calculator allowed on the GRE Physics Exam?

Yes, the only type of calculator allowed on the GRE Physics Exam is a basic scientific calculator. Graphing calculators, programmable calculators, and calculators with built-in algebraic manipulation or symbolic manipulation capabilities are not allowed.

3. What is RPN and why is it important for the GRE Physics Exam?

RPN stands for Reverse Polish Notation and it is a method of inputting calculations on a calculator. It is important for the GRE Physics Exam because it allows for faster and more accurate calculations compared to traditional algebraic calculators.

4. Can I bring my own calculator to the GRE Physics Exam?

No, you are not allowed to bring your own calculator to the GRE Physics Exam. The test center will provide you with an on-screen calculator for use during the exam.

5. Are there any specific functions or operations that I should be familiar with for the GRE Physics Exam calculator?

Yes, you should be familiar with basic operations such as addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division, as well as more advanced functions like trigonometric functions, logarithms, and exponents. It is also important to know how to store numbers and use the memory function on the calculator.