The Greatest Musical Decade: A Comparison

• Music
  • Thread starter TENYEARS
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Comparison
In summary: I’d have to go with the 2010’s. Why? Because that’s the decade where I really started paying attention to music, and there has been a tremendous amount of good music released in that time.

What is the greatest decade for music?

Votes: 1 3.7%

Votes: 4 14.8%

Votes: 11 40.7%

Votes: 5 18.5%

Votes: 2 7.4%

Votes: 4 14.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
What about 1685-1750
[Hint:Bach was born in 1685]

Science news on Phys.org
franznietzsche said:
The two best samples of baroque music, the Brandenburg Concertos, and St Matthew's Passion. Absolute genius.

I enjoy classical music, but not very often anymore. But one thing I can do with it like no other music is turn the lights off, sit and listen in the dark (except for my stereo equipment lights), and allow the music to create a feeling like I am somewhere back in time, or in another world. One of my favorites for that is Mussorgsky's "Pictures at an Exhibition."

I don't know what he intended, but for some reason I feel like I am back when the Earth was first being created. The opening lonely trumpet is like the aloneness of the Earth then, and then volcanos going off, oceans forming, life beginning . . . and that part after some of the intensity where it sounds like breathing is like the exhaustion of God or Nature. Some of Tchaikovsky's stuff is good for that sort of visualization too.

:biggrin: I am a little abashed about my little rant :tongue2:

Don't bite my head off but . . . some people wonder if rap is music (not to suggest it isn't good stuff!)

Listen to A Tribe Called Quest or De La Soul. Maybe that will change your opinion.

It's jazzrap as opposed to G-Funk.

Dagenais said:
Listen to A Tribe Called Quest or De La Soul. Maybe that will change your opinion.

It's jazzrap as opposed to G-Funk.

Saw my jazz leanings, eh? I have heard rap within jazz pieces (like on Herbie Hancock's "Dis is Da Drum" album) and enjoyed it. If you notice, I didn't put rap down, I just question if it is music or poetry to a beat.

I sometimes wonder if anyone else besides me thinks Zappa was the first rapper, I used to love his stuff (of course, let's not forget Jimmy Dean rappin' "Big John").