Votes: 2 7.4%

Votes: 4 14.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Les Sleeth
Gold Member
Chrono said:
Who are you calling old? :yuck:
True, sorry about the age discrimination. Like Boulderhead implies, real music lovers want to appreciate every bit of music with quality no matter what age or category it's found.

Les Sleeth
Gold Member
Dagenais said:
I need a l'il bassline Kick it up.

The 90's were the best
The times of rap
Screw the rest, they failed to impress.
Rock was crap, give rap a clap.
The best rhymes found mainstream success.
Now Hip Hop...
Has become pop!
What's up with that?
We've got to take a look back
at the 90's!

Not bad, eh? :biggrin:
Don't bite my head off but . . . some people wonder if rap is music (not to suggest it isn't good stuff!); to me at least it seems more like rhythmic poetry than music.

I'd say the 1970s

Les Sleeth said:
Don't bite my head off but . . . some people wonder if rap is music (not to suggest it isn't good stuff!); to me at least it seems more like rhythmic poetry than music.

Its not music. As the other person who voted 90s i will say i ahd in mind mid 90s rock, 94-97 or so. Grew up with that stuff.

Gokul43201
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Les Sleeth said:
Don't bite my head off either, but... if rap is poetry, then crap is a delicacy.

Gokul43201 said:
Don't bite my head off either, but... if rap is poetry, then crap is a delicacy.

This is surely no mere truth, but Truth.

rap isn't music.
Stealing samples from the hard work of others isn't music.
And any person using a drum machine or pro tools can create the simple beats and crap put in rap.
90's is the best.
Early 90's had a matured 80's style about it and then the late 90's saw the emergence of some of the most talented and most diverse musicians working with one another. (Might even include some of 2000)
That is for heavy metal though. Obviously people will rate a decade on the music they listen to. So if people like no talent then they could choose 2000 for pop.
If people want to choose the most remarkable and indluential music then they'd choose one of the classical eras. For example, Baroque, classical and Romance.
And then I don't really know how to explain the 60's and 70's, but hippies come to mind ;)
So yeah it all depends on the individual :)

:confused: Why do the rappers in music video always dress and live like drug dealers? Why do the female singers always run away as if in great anguish and pain? Why do the man singers act as if they are possessed? Never mind me, just a rant.

I'm more of a rock guy actually, and I think the pioneering rock groups in the 60s were great.......besides that, the 80s, cos' that's where the bulk of heavy metal came from. But of course the 80s were filled with horrible euro, glam bands, as well as the disco stuff.......so, I voted the 60s...

70's particularly because of Queen

(also David Bowie, and many more of course)

What about 1685-1750
[Hint:Bach was born in 1685]

Les Sleeth
Gold Member
franznietzsche said:
The two best samples of baroque music, the Brandenburg Concertos, and St Matthew's Passion. Absolute genius.
I enjoy classical music, but not very often anymore. But one thing I can do with it like no other music is turn the lights off, sit and listen in the dark (except for my stereo equipment lights), and allow the music to create a feeling like I am somewhere back in time, or in another world. One of my favorites for that is Mussorgsky's "Pictures at an Exhibition."

I don't know what he intended, but for some reason I feel like I am back when the Earth was first being created. The opening lonely trumpet is like the aloneness of the Earth then, and then volcanos going off, oceans forming, life beginning . . . and that part after some of the intensity where it sounds like breathing is like the exhaustion of God or Nature. Some of Tchaikovsky's stuff is good for that sort of visualization too.

:biggrin: I am a little abashed about my little rant :tongue2:

Don't bite my head off but . . . some people wonder if rap is music (not to suggest it isn't good stuff!)
Listen to A Tribe Called Quest or De La Soul. Maybe that will change your opinion.

It's jazzrap as opposed to G-Funk.

Les Sleeth
Gold Member
Dagenais said:
Listen to A Tribe Called Quest or De La Soul. Maybe that will change your opinion.

It's jazzrap as opposed to G-Funk.
Saw my jazz leanings, eh? I have heard rap within jazz pieces (like on Herbie Hancock's "Dis is Da Drum" album) and enjoyed it. If you notice, I didn't put rap down, I just question if it is music or poetry to a beat.

I sometimes wonder if anyone else besides me thinks Zappa was the first rapper, I used to love his stuff (of course, let's not forget Jimmy Dean rappin' "Big John").