Greatest physicists of all time alive and dead

In summary, the conversation discusses the topic of the greatest physicist of all time, the greatest physicist alive, the greatest British physicist, and the greatest British physicist alive. Some suggestions are made, including The Beatles, Foo Fighters, and Posh Spice, as well as other physicists such as Schroedinger, Ulam, Feynman, von Neumann, Bohr, Heisenberg, and Pauli. The conversation also mentions other physics forums discussing similar topics.
KeplerJunior
I know this has been done to death already although i couldn't find a proper thread, most seem to degenerate into arguments.

I want to know who, in your opinions is

1. the greatest physicist of all time

2. the greatest physicist alive

3. the greatest british physicist

4. the greatest british physicist alive

Physics news on Phys.org
KeplerJunior said:
I know this has been done to death already although i couldn't find a proper thread, most seem to degenerate into arguments.

I want to know who, in your opinions is

1. the greatest physicist of all time

2. the greatest physicist alive

3. the greatest british physicist

4. the greatest british physicist alive
My goodness, has 3 months gone by already?
1: The Beatles
2: Foo Fighters
3: Beatles, again
4: Posh Spice

1- I wish I were
2- I wish I were
3-?
4-?

20458866.jpg

Physicist that is alive and dead, that would be Schroedinger in a box.

It's funny that googling some of these terms give rise to other physics forums threads on this nature :rolleyes:

To name a few . . .:biggrin:

ulfeneu.jpg

Ulam, Feynman, and von Neumann

bohepau.jpg

Bohr, Heisenberg, and Pauli

Borek said:
Physicist that is alive and dead, that would be Schroedinger in a box.

:rofl:

1. Who is considered the greatest physicist of all time?

The answer to this question is subjective and can vary depending on personal opinions. Some people may consider Albert Einstein to be the greatest physicist of all time for his groundbreaking theories on relativity and contributions to quantum mechanics. Others may argue for Isaac Newton, who laid the foundations for classical mechanics and calculus. Some may even consider more recent physicists such as Stephen Hawking or Richard Feynman to be the greatest.

2. Are there any living physicists who are considered among the greatest of all time?

Yes, there are several living physicists who are considered to be among the greatest of all time. Some examples include Stephen Hawking, who made groundbreaking contributions to our understanding of black holes and the origins of the universe, and Roger Penrose, who has made significant contributions to geometry, general relativity, and cosmology.

3. What criteria are used to determine the greatest physicists of all time?

The criteria used to determine the greatest physicists of all time can vary, but some common factors include their contributions to the field of physics, impact on scientific knowledge and understanding, and influence on future generations of physicists. Other factors such as awards, publications, and discoveries may also be considered.

4. Can a physicist be considered the greatest of all time if they did not receive a Nobel Prize?

Yes, a physicist can still be considered among the greatest of all time even if they did not receive a Nobel Prize. While the Nobel Prize is a prestigious award and often recognizes groundbreaking contributions to science, it is not the only measure of a physicist's greatness. There are many other factors that can contribute to their impact and influence in the field of physics.

5. Are there any female physicists who are considered among the greatest of all time?

Yes, there are several female physicists who are considered among the greatest of all time. Some examples include Marie Curie, who won two Nobel Prizes for her work in radioactivity, and Emmy Noether, who made significant contributions to theoretical physics and abstract algebra. While historically underrepresented in the field, there have been many influential and groundbreaking female physicists throughout history.