Green's Ellipse (Move to Math homework)

In summary: You can generalize this by saying that if you have a function that is symmetric about the ##y## axis, then the integral with an odd power of ##y## will be zero.
Calpalned

Homework Statement

Picture1.png

Homework Equations

N/A

The Attempt at a Solution

Question 1) Suppose I tried to convert ##\int \int_c {-2y^3} dA## into polar coordinates. What would the limits be? I know that ##x = rcos(\theta), y = rsin(\theta)## but the two rs are different (unlike in a circle).

Q2) Regarding the picture, it says "Notice that this region is symmetric about..."). I was never taught this in school and as a result I have a few questions: Is there a trick for memorizing this? Is there a simple proof? Are there any other examples where I could use this "symmetry trick"? And finally, it seems that the trick is only dependent on ##-2y^3## and not on the shape of the ellipse, right?

Q3) The symm

Physics news on Phys.org
How do I move a thread to another forum?

Calpalned said:
How do I move a thread to another forum?
Taken care of. :wink:

In future, if you need help, just hit the "Report" button in the lower left hand corner and leave a message for a mentor.

Calpalned said:

Homework Statement

View attachment 81907

Homework Equations

N/A

The Attempt at a Solution

Question 1) Suppose I tried to convert ##\int \int_c {-2y^3} dA## into polar coordinates. What would the limits be? I know that ##x = rcos(\theta), y = rsin(\theta)## but the two rs are different (unlike in a circle).

An ellipse is a closed curve, like a circle, so if you use the polar form of an ellipse, the coordinates will repeat after a while.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ellipse#Polar_form_relative_to_center

It's not clear why you want to convert the integral in the OP to polar coordinates.

Q2) Regarding the picture, it says "Notice that this region is symmetric about..."). I was never taught this in school and as a result I have a few questions: Is there a trick for memorizing this? Is there a simple proof? Are there any other examples where I could use this "symmetry trick"? And finally, it seems that the trick is only dependent on ##-2y^3## and not on the shape of the ellipse, right?

You don't sound like you are familiar with the shape of the conic sections.

You should study these curves as they pop up quite frequently in math & physics:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conic_section

Calpalned said:

Homework Statement

Rewrite the ellipse in standard form:$$
\frac {x^2} 2 + \frac{y^2} 1 = 1$$This suggests the polar-like substitution$$
x = \sqrt 2 r \cos\theta,~~y= r \sin\theta$$Now you can let ##r## vary from ##0## to ##1## and ##\theta## from ##0## to ##2\pi##. And don't forget the proper ##dA##.

Wrong. The shape of the ellipse being symmetric is why the integral is zero with an odd integrand in ##y##.

1. What is Green's Ellipse?

Green's Ellipse, also known as the Green's Theorem or Green's Formula, is a mathematical concept used in vector calculus to find the area of a region in the plane bounded by a simple closed curve.

2. How is Green's Ellipse related to calculus?

Green's Ellipse is related to calculus through the use of line integrals, which are integrals that involve a function of multiple variables along a curve in a vector field. Green's Theorem helps to simplify these integrals and make them easier to solve.

3. What is the equation for Green's Ellipse?

The equation for Green's Ellipse is ∬R (Qx − Py) dA = C, where R represents the region bounded by the curve, Qx and Py are the partial derivatives of the functions Q and P, and C is a constant.

4. How is Green's Ellipse used in real-world applications?

Green's Ellipse has various applications in physics, engineering, and other fields. It is often used to calculate the work done by a force in a vector field, as well as to find the flux of a vector field through a closed curve. It also has applications in fluid mechanics, electromagnetism, and more.

5. What are some tips for solving problems involving Green's Ellipse?

Some tips for solving problems involving Green's Ellipse include drawing a diagram or visual representation of the region and curve, carefully identifying and correctly setting up the functions Q and P, and checking for symmetry or other simplifying factors. Additionally, practice and familiarity with other concepts in vector calculus, such as line integrals and partial derivatives, can also aid in solving problems involving Green's Theorem.