Set up polar area integral of ellipse

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 12K views
ArcanaNoir
Messages
778
Reaction score
4

Homework Statement



Set up the integral for the area of the ellipse:
[tex]\frac{x^2}{a^2} =\frac{y^2}{b^2} \le 1[/tex]
in polar coordinates.

Homework Equations



maybe [tex]\int_\alpha^\beta \int_a^b f(rcos\theta , rsin \theta ) r \; dr \; d\theta[/tex]
or more likely [tex]\int_a^b \frac{1}{2} r^2 \; d\theta[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution



well, [tex]x=acos(t)[/tex] and [tex]y=bsin(t)[/tex]
and [tex]dx=-asin(t)[/tex] and [tex]dy=bcos(t)[/tex]
or is it [tex]dx=-asin(t) \; dt[/tex] and [tex]dy=bcos(t) \; dt[/tex] ?

And somehow I need to get to [tex]A=\frac{1}{2} [ \int_0^{2\pi } abcos^2(t) + absin^2(t) \; dt ][/tex]

I looked at [tex]\frac{1}{2} \int_0^{2\pi} ([f(\theta )]^2 - [g(\theta )]^2) \; d\theta[/tex]

but that gives [itex]a^2[/itex] and [itex]b^2[/itex] , not [itex]ab[/itex].

This is for vector calculus so if you know a better formula it is definitely on the table. Anything goes. :cry: This is only the first step in a problem where ultimately I'll be doing some Stokes theorem stuff. But first, I must set this up in polar form.

Oh, and I apologize for some formulas using t and others using theta. I am trying to work out of my old calculus book, but prof uses a different notation. i wrote the formulas exactly as I see them so that I do not confuse anyone with an error I might make in meaning. But I'm guessing t and theta are the same thing in these set ups.

hey... theta starts with a t...maybe that's why people use t! .. okay crazy person rant over...
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Hm, I see this maybe Green's theorem in action. Let's put this on hold for a minute.
 
If the length of the semi major and semi minor axes and a and b, then you can represent the ellipse as:

[tex]x = acos{t}[/tex]
[tex]y = bsin{t}[/tex]


and recall that:

[tex]r^{2} = x^{2} + y^{2}[/tex]

This should send you in the right direction. Alternatively, if you know about Jacobians, then you can calculate the Jacobian and set up your integral that way.
 
I used Green's theorem
[tex]\frac{1}{2} \int (xdy - ydx)[/tex]
and reached the desired result.

Thanks for your input DivisionbyZro.