Set up polar area integral of ellipse

In summary, the author is trying to solve an equation for an ellipse in polar coordinates and is using Green's theorem.
ArcanaNoir

Homework Statement

Set up the integral for the area of the ellipse:
[tex] \frac{x^2}{a^2} =\frac{y^2}{b^2} \le 1 [/tex]
in polar coordinates.

Homework Equations

maybe [tex] \int_\alpha^\beta \int_a^b f(rcos\theta , rsin \theta ) r \; dr \; d\theta [/tex]
or more likely [tex] \int_a^b \frac{1}{2} r^2 \; d\theta [/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

well, [tex] x=acos(t) [/tex] and [tex] y=bsin(t) [/tex]
and [tex] dx=-asin(t) [/tex] and [tex] dy=bcos(t) [/tex]
or is it [tex] dx=-asin(t) \; dt [/tex] and [tex] dy=bcos(t) \; dt [/tex] ?

And somehow I need to get to [tex] A=\frac{1}{2} [ \int_0^{2\pi } abcos^2(t) + absin^2(t) \; dt ] [/tex]

I looked at [tex] \frac{1}{2} \int_0^{2\pi} ([f(\theta )]^2 - [g(\theta )]^2) \; d\theta [/tex]

but that gives [itex] a^2 [/itex] and [itex] b^2 [/itex] , not [itex] ab [/itex].

This is for vector calculus so if you know a better formula it is definitely on the table. Anything goes. :cry: This is only the first step in a problem where ultimately I'll be doing some Stokes theorem stuff. But first, I must set this up in polar form.

Oh, and I apologize for some formulas using t and others using theta. I am trying to work out of my old calculus book, but prof uses a different notation. i wrote the formulas exactly as I see them so that I do not confuse anyone with an error I might make in meaning. But I'm guessing t and theta are the same thing in these set ups.

hey... theta starts with a t...maybe that's why people use t! .. okay crazy person rant over...

Physics news on Phys.org
Hm, I see this maybe Green's theorem in action. Let's put this on hold for a minute.

If the length of the semi major and semi minor axes and a and b, then you can represent the ellipse as:

[tex] x = acos{t} [/tex]
[tex] y = bsin{t} [/tex]

and recall that:

[tex] r^{2} = x^{2} + y^{2} [/tex]

This should send you in the right direction. Alternatively, if you know about Jacobians, then you can calculate the Jacobian and set up your integral that way.

I used Green's theorem
[tex] \frac{1}{2} \int (xdy - ydx) [/tex]
and reached the desired result.

Thanks for your input DivisionbyZro.

1. What is a polar area integral?

A polar area integral is a mathematical technique used to calculate the area enclosed by a polar curve. It involves integrating a function over a specific interval in polar coordinates.

2. How do you set up a polar area integral?

To set up a polar area integral, you first need to convert the polar equation to rectangular coordinates. Then, you can use the formula ∫(1/2)r²dθ to calculate the area for a given interval.

3. What is an ellipse in polar coordinates?

An ellipse in polar coordinates is a curve that has the equation r = a(1-e²)/(1+e*cosθ), where a is the semi-major axis and e is the eccentricity of the ellipse. This equation can be used to represent the distance from the origin to any point on the ellipse.

4. What is the difference between an ellipse in rectangular coordinates and polar coordinates?

In rectangular coordinates, an ellipse is represented by the equation (x²/a²) + (y²/b²) = 1, where a and b are the semi-major and semi-minor axes. In polar coordinates, the same ellipse is represented by the equation r = a(1-e²)/(1+e*cosθ). The difference is in the way the coordinates are measured and the equations used to represent the curve.

5. How can I use a polar area integral to find the area of an ellipse?

To find the area of an ellipse using a polar area integral, you need to set up the integral using the formula ∫(1/2)r²dθ and the equation for the ellipse in polar coordinates. Then, you can integrate over a specific interval to calculate the area enclosed by the ellipse.