1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Greens function on half line

1. Dec 1, 2011 #1
    Hi, i am trying to find greens function for the heat equation with a=1, i.e du/dt - d2u/dx2 = f(x,t) for 0<x<infinty i also have the conditions, u(x,0)=0 and u(0,t)=0
    When i have found my greens function i have to allow f(x,t) = delta(x-1) delta(t-1) and obtain a solution using the greens function

i have tried to do it using two different methods, one using fourier transforms and one using separation of variables, but both times i get unstuck when it comes to doing the integrals for 0 to infinity with delta functions because that is zero? I dont understand how i can work it so that i can simplify by getting rid of the delta functions, can i find the integral of negatie infinity to positive infinity and halve it or anything like that?
    Any help would really be appreciated
    Thanks

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?