How Can Greens Function Be Used to Solve the Heat Equation with Delta Functions?

In summary, the Greens function for the heat equation with a=1 can be used to solve for a solution u(x,t) when f(x,t) = delta(x-1) delta(t-1) by evaluating the integral u(x,t) = (1/2√π)*∫0∞ exp(-s²/4)*(1-exp(-s/2)) ds using integration by parts. The resulting solution is u(x,t) = (1/2√π)*[exp(-1/4)(1-exp(-|x-1|/2))], where 0<x<∞ and t=1.
maggie56
Hi, i am trying to find greens function for the heat equation with a=1, i.e du/dt - d2u/dx2 = f(x,t) for 0<x<infinty i also have the conditions, u(x,0)=0 and u(0,t)=0
When i have found my greens function i have to allow f(x,t) = delta(x-1) delta(t-1) and obtain a solution using the greens function

i have tried to do it using two different methods, one using Fourier transforms and one using separation of variables, but both times i get unstuck when it comes to doing the integrals for 0 to infinity with delta functions because that is zero? I don't understand how i can work it so that i can simplify by getting rid of the delta functions, can i find the integral of negatie infinity to positive infinity and halve it or anything like that?
Any help would really be appreciated
Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
The Greens function for the heat equation with a=1 isG(x,t;x',t') = (1/2√π)*∫0∞ exp(-s²/4)*exp(-s*|x-x'|/2) dsThen in order to solve the equation with f(x,t) = delta(x-1) delta(t-1):u(x,t) = (1/2√π)*∫0∞ exp(-s²/4)*exp(-s*|x-1|/2)*delta(t-1) dsNote that since the delta function vanishes everywhere except at t=1, the integral over t has been replaced by 1. Integrating x from 0 to ∞, we obtain:u(x,t) = (1/2√π)*∫0∞ exp(-s²/4)*(1-exp(-s/2)) ds which can be evaluated using integration by parts. Finally, the solution is given by u(x,t) = (1/2√π)*[exp(-1/4)(1-exp(-|x-1|/2))], where 0<x<∞ and t=1.

1. What is a Greens function on half line?

A Greens function on half line is a mathematical tool used in solving partial differential equations on a half line (a finite interval of the real number line). It is a function that acts as a kernel to transform an input function into an output function, allowing for the solution of boundary value problems on a half line.

2. How is a Greens function on half line different from a regular Greens function?

A Greens function on half line is different from a regular Greens function because it is only defined on a finite interval, rather than the entire real number line. This allows for the solution of boundary value problems that have a fixed boundary on one side.

3. What are some applications of Greens function on half line?

Greens function on half line has many applications in physics, engineering, and other scientific fields. It is commonly used in solving diffusion and wave equations, as well as in quantum mechanics and electromagnetism. It can also be used in heat transfer problems, acoustics, and fluid mechanics.

4. How is a Greens function on half line calculated?

The calculation of Greens function on half line depends on the specific boundary conditions and differential equation being solved. In general, it involves finding the inverse of a specific differential operator and applying boundary conditions to determine the specific form of the Greens function. This can be a complex process and often requires advanced mathematical techniques.

5. Are there any limitations to using Greens function on half line?

While Greens function on half line is a powerful tool for solving boundary value problems, it does have some limitations. It may not be applicable to all types of boundary conditions or differential equations. Additionally, the calculations can become very complex and difficult to solve for certain systems. In these cases, alternative methods may need to be used.