Solve Inhomogeneous Problem Using Greens Function: (1-x2)y'' - xy' + y = f(x)

In summary, the conversation discusses using the greens function G(x,z) to solve an inhomogeneous problem with the equation (1-x2) y'' - x y' + y = f(x), where y(0) = y(1) = 0. The general solution to the equation is also mentioned, along with the need to use an integration factor to put the equation in a specific form. The correct equations for G(x,z) are given, along with the importance of symmetry in the function. The conversation ends with a hope that the information was helpful.
sara_87

Homework Statement

use the greens function G(x,z) to solve inhomogeneous problem:

(1-x2 ) y'' - x y' + y = f(x)

y(0) = y(1) = 0

Homework Equations

the answer is:

G(x,z)= -x for x<z

and -z(1-x2 ) 1/2 (1-z2 ) 1/2

The Attempt at a Solution

the general solution to the equation

(1-x2 ) y'' - x y' + y = 0

is:

y = Ax + B(1-x2 ) 1/2

i found B(z) and D(z) = 0 after subing in x= 1 and x= 0

then i got:

G(x,z) = A(z)

and D(z)(1-x2 )1/2

then i did this:

-D(z)x(1-x2) -1/2 - A(z) = 1 *

D(z)(1-x2) 1/2 - A(z)x = 0 **

now we have 2 equation with 2 unknown which i can solve... but i didn't get the right answer so i just need to check are the 2 equations * and ** correct?

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, you forgot something it should be:
G(x,z)=A(z)x for 0<=x<z<=1
D(z)(1-x^2)^0.5 for 0<=z<x<=1
And another thing, you should multiply the homogenous equation by what is called an integration factor, i.e we want the euqation to be in form: d/dx [p(x)d/dx y]+q(x)y=0
so here if u is this factor then: u(1-x^2)=p and -ux=p' p'/p=x/(x^2-1) ln(p)=ln(x^2-1)/2
so p=sqrt|1-x^2|, now as it's written in wiki, the difference in the derivative of dG(x,z)/dx for x=z from right minus dG(x,z)/dx for x=z from left equals 1/p(z), and also you have the property of symmetry of G, i.e G(x,z)=G(z,x).

I hope I helped you some how, cheers!

1. What is an inhomogeneous problem?

An inhomogeneous problem is a mathematical problem in which the input or boundary conditions are not constant or homogeneous. In other words, the problem involves a non-constant source term, such as f(x) in the given equation.

2. What is a Green's function?

A Green's function is a mathematical tool used to solve inhomogeneous differential equations. It represents the response of a system to a delta function (a mathematical function with an infinitely high value at one point and 0 everywhere else) as the input. In other words, it is the solution to the equation with a delta function as the source term.

3. How is Green's function used to solve inhomogeneous problems?

To solve an inhomogeneous problem using Green's function, we first solve the corresponding homogeneous problem (setting f(x) = 0) and find the general solution. Then, we use Green's function to find the particular solution by multiplying it with the source term and integrating over the domain of interest.

4. What is the domain of interest in this problem?

The domain of interest in this problem is the range of values for x in which the equation is defined and the solution is sought. In this case, it would be all real numbers except x = ±1, as the given equation is not defined at those points.

5. What are some applications of using Green's function to solve inhomogeneous problems?

Green's function is commonly used in physics and engineering to solve differential equations representing physical systems with non-constant input or boundary conditions. It can be used to model a variety of phenomena, such as heat flow, electromagnetic fields, and fluid dynamics.