1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Green's theorem and divergence integrals

1. Oct 28, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Can someone please explain to me what the physical meaning of the divergence integrals and curl integral is? In the problems I have come across, they ask us to calculate areas and etc.. using Green's theorem. Which one should I use in that case?

Thank-you very much for your help!

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 28, 2007 #2

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

I will try to restrain myself! Mathematical concepts do NOT HAVE a specific "physical meaning" because mathematics is not physics. It is true, that the names "divergence" and "curl" come from physics- or more correctly, fluid motion. If [itex]\vec{f}(x,y,z)[/itex] is the velocity vector of a fluid at point (x,y,z), the div f measures the tendency of the flud to "diverge" (move away from) some central point. Similarly, curl f measures the tendency to circulate around some central point.

However, you say "they ask us to calculate area and etc. using Green's theorem".

Well, Green's theorem says
    [tex]\int\int \left[\frac{\partial Q(x,y)}{\partial x}-\frac{\partial P}{\partial y}\right]dxdy= \oint P(x,y)dx+ Q(x,y)dy[/tex]
    which doesn't use either "div" or "grad"!

You know, surely, [itex]\int\int dx dy[/itex], taken over a given region in the xy-plane, is the area of that region. To "use Green's theorem" to find the area of a region, you just have to use functions P(x,y) and Q(x,y) such that
    [tex]\frac{\partial Q(x,y)}{\partial x}- \frac{\partial P(x,y)}{\partial y}= 1[/tex].
    One obvious choice is P(x,y)= 0, Q(x,y)= x. Integrating [itex]\int x dy[/itex] around the boundary of a region will, according to Green's theorem, be the same as integrating 1 over the region itself- and so will give you the area of the region.
  4. Oct 28, 2007 #3
    Thanks a ton!!

Thank-you for your help. I really appreciate it!!:smile:
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?