Green's Theorem Homework - Solve for ∫c (3x2 -1).dr

In summary: Yes that's right. Only if your boundary is a circle can you refer to a circle. You must use the equation of the boundary given. Here, for example, the boundaries were y=x2, y=0 and x=1.
gl0ck

Homework Statement

Hello,

I know this might be trivial but,
can you please tell me what I am missing?
Here is my problem :
Screenshotfrom2014-05-07103331_zps24eda9da.png

Homework Equations

Given F = (yi+x3j).dr
Q = x3
P = y
=> ∂Q/∂x = 3x2 and ∂P/dy = 1
c (3x2 -1).dr = ∫2Pi010 (3r2cosθ2-1) rdrdθ
2Pi010 (3r3cosθ2-r) drdθ
Is it true so far ?

Thanks

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi,

What you've done is right. Go ahead with the problem.

Sunil Simha said:
Hi,

What you've done is right. Go ahead with the problem.

2Pi010 (3r3cosθ2-r) drdθ
->∫2Pi0(3/4cos2θ-1/2) dθ
->3/4∫2Pi0(cos2θ-1/2) dθ
->3/8[θ+sin(θ)cos(θ)-θ/2]2Pi0
->-Pi/4

Is this now correct?
If it is correct what about part b)
it looks to me like 1/4 circle when it is plotted but here I have y = x^2 and no radius to start the same thing again and I am not sure about the 1st integral neither, becuase I think it cannot be from 0 to Pi/2 because it doesn't start from x= 0 but from y = 0

Last edited:
gl0ck said:
2Pi010 (3r3cosθ2-r) drdθ
->∫2Pi0(3/4cos2θ-1/2) dθ
->3/4∫2Pi0(cos2θ-1/2) dθ
->3/8[θ+sin(θ)cos(θ)-θ/2]2Pi0
->-Pi/4

Is this now correct?

Yup the answer is right.

gl0ck said:
If it is correct what about part b)
it looks to me like 1/4 circle when it is plotted but here I have y = x^2 and no radius to start the same thing again and I am not sure about the 1st integral neither, becuase I think it cannot be from 0 to Pi/2 because it doesn't start from x= 0 but from y = 0

Stick to cartesian coordinates on this one. What are the limits on y (in terms of x) and x?

Sunil Simha said:
Yup the answer is right.

Stick to cartesian coordinates on this one. What are the limits on y (in terms of x) and x?

Can we take that r = 1 because the line from (0,1) to (1,1) is the radius if we take it as 1/4 of a circle and this is the bottom right part?
A bit confused by the limits though. I think x is from 0 to [itex]\sqrt{}y[/itex]
and y is from 0 to 1?

No, there is no "quarter circle". To integrate over the region, take x going from 0 to 1 and, for each x, y going from [itex]x^2[/itex] to x.

(You could do in the other order, taking y from 0 to 1 and, for each y, x from y to [itex]\sqrt{y}[/itex].)

HallsofIvy said:
No, there is no "quarter circle". To integrate over the region, take x going from 0 to 1 and, for each x, y going from [itex]x^2[/itex] to x.

(You could do in the other order, taking y from 0 to 1 and, for each y, x from y to [itex]\sqrt{y}[/itex].)

Isn't it supposed to be y from 0 to x2 and and x from 0 to 1 ?

Alternatively, x from √y to 1 and y from 0 to 1.

Sunil Simha said:
Isn't it supposed to be y from 0 to x2 and and x from 0 to 1 ?

Alternatively, x from √y to 1 and y from 0 to 1.

With these boundaries I found it to be 4/15 which is the answer indeed
Thanks very much !
Can I ask you one more thing, when if ever we can refer to a circle to solve these kind of questions, or I should look for x^2 + y^2 = r , in order to refer to a circle?

gl0ck said:
when if ever we can refer to a circle to solve these kind of questions, or I should look for x^2 + y^2 = r , in order to refer to a circle?

Yes that's right. Only if your boundary is a circle can you refer to a circle. You must use the equation of the boundary given. Here, for example, the boundaries were y=x2, y=0 and x=1.

FAQ: Green's Theorem Homework - Solve for ∫c (3x2 -1).dr

1. What is Green's Theorem?

Green's Theorem is a mathematical tool used to evaluate line integrals over a closed curve in the xy-plane. It relates the line integral to a double integral over a region in the xy-plane.

2. How do I apply Green's Theorem to solve the given homework problem?

To solve for ∫c (3x2 -1).dr using Green's Theorem, you need to first determine the line integral and the region enclosed by the curve c. Then, you can apply the formula ∫c (Pdx + Qdy) = ∬R (Qx - Py) dA, where P and Q are the partial derivatives of the given function, and R is the region enclosed by c.

3. What is the significance of using Green's Theorem in solving this type of problem?

Green's Theorem allows for a more efficient and straightforward method of evaluating line integrals, as it reduces them to a double integral over a region in the xy-plane. This can be especially useful when dealing with complex or multi-dimensional curves.

4. Can you provide an example of a similar problem solved using Green's Theorem?

Sure! For example, if we have the curve c given by the equation y = x2 and we want to find the line integral ∫c (x2 + 2xy)dx + (x2 - 2y)dy, we can use Green's Theorem to convert it into a double integral over the region R enclosed by c. The partial derivatives of the given function are P = x2 + 2xy and Q = x2 - 2y, so the double integral would be ∬R [(x2 - 2y) - (x2 + 2xy)] dA = ∬R (-4xy) dA.

5. Are there any limitations or restrictions to using Green's Theorem?

Green's Theorem can only be used for line integrals over closed curves in the xy-plane. It also assumes that the region enclosed by the curve is simply connected, meaning that there are no holes or other intersecting curves within the region. Additionally, the curve c must be continuously differentiable with respect to both x and y.