• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products Here!

Green's Theorem and simple closed curve

• Thread starter Amy Marie
  • Start date

Homework Statement

Use, using the result that for a simple closed curve C in the plane the area enclosed is:

A = (1/2)∫(x dy - y dx) to find the area inside the curve x^(2/3) + y^(2/3) = 4

Homework Equations

Green's Theorem:
∫P dx + Q dy = ∫∫ dQ/dx - dP/dy

The Attempt at a Solution

I solved the equation of the curve for x:

x = (4 - y^(2/3))^(3/2)

Also, from the original curve equation x^(2/3) + y^(2/3) = 4, when x = 0, y = +/- 8 because 4^(3/2) = 8.

But when I plug x = +/- (4 - y^(2/3))^(3/2) in for the x bounds and y = +/- 8 in for the y bounds in the resulting double integral

(1/2)∫∫ 2 dxdy

I have trouble integrating x = (4 - y^(2/3))^(3/2) it with respect to y.

Does anybody happen to know if there is a more correct way to solve this problem?

Thank you for your help!

Answers and Replies

LCKurtz
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
The question does not want you to work the integral out by doing a double integral. It wants you to find a nice parameterization of the curve and do$$
A = \frac 1 2 \int_C x~dy - y~dx$$ So your first job is to find a nice parameterization. As a hint think about a way to parameterize it so that you can use the identity ##(r\cos\theta)^2 + (r\sin\theta)^2 = r^2##.

The question does not want you to work the integral out by doing a double integral. It wants you to find a nice parameterization of the curve and do$$
A = \frac 1 2 \int_C x~dy - y~dx$$ So your first job is to find a nice parameterization. As a hint think about a way to parameterize it so that you can use the identity ##(r\cos\theta)^2 + (r\sin\theta)^2 = r^2##.
Thank you for your help!