Griffiths' Notation for Vector from Source to Field Point

In summary, the conversation is about the use of a special notation for a vector in Griffiths' E-M textbook, specifically a "squiggly r" or "script letter". The person is asking for help on how to produce this symbol in LaTeX or using a standard symbol font. Another person remembers trying to find it before and ended up using a font package called fcursive. They wish the person luck in their search.
radiogaga35
Hi there

Griffiths uses a nice notation for the vector from the source point to the field point --a "squiggly r" -- in his E-M textbook. He calls it a "script letter". It makes many ugly expressions look much simpler.

Anyway, nice as it is, does anyone who has used Griffiths know how to produce that "squiggly r", in LaTeX or using some standard symbol font? I'm trying to typeset some stuff and I've been stumped trying to find it!

Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
I remember looking for this about a year ago. After searching extensively, I came across a site claiming that this was a special font developed for the purpose of the book. Whether or not I believe it, after a couple days of searching, I hadn't found anything, so I ended up using the fcursive font package. Take a look and see if you can be satisfied with as little as I was =)

Good luck,
a.

Ok, thanks for the suggestion, I'll take a look!

1. What is Griffiths' E-M Notation?

Griffiths' E-M Notation is a system of notation used to represent the electric and magnetic fields in electromagnetism. It was developed by physicist David J. Griffiths and is commonly used in textbooks and research papers in the field of electromagnetism.

2. How is Griffiths' E-M Notation different from other notations?

Griffiths' E-M Notation is different from other notations in that it uses arrows to represent the direction of the electric and magnetic fields, instead of using the traditional vector notation with bold letters. It also uses the subscript notation for components, rather than the superscript notation.

3. What are the benefits of using Griffiths' E-M Notation?

One benefit of using Griffiths' E-M Notation is that it is more compact and easier to write compared to other notations. It also makes it easier to visualize the direction and magnitude of the electric and magnetic fields, making it a useful tool in problem-solving and understanding electromagnetic phenomena.

4. Are there any limitations to Griffiths' E-M Notation?

One limitation of Griffiths' E-M Notation is that it may not be as familiar to those who are used to other notations, such as the traditional vector notation. It also does not explicitly show the magnitude of the fields, which may be a disadvantage in certain situations.

5. Can Griffiths' E-M Notation be used in all areas of electromagnetism?

Yes, Griffiths' E-M Notation can be used in all areas of electromagnetism, including electrostatics, magnetostatics, and electrodynamics. It is a versatile notation system that is widely accepted and used by scientists and researchers in the field of electromagnetism.