1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Griffiths Problem 3.34

1. Mar 10, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    This question refers to Griffiths E and M book.

If they had not told me that the charge moves, I would have guessed that it just sits there since it seems like there is nothing to exert a force on it. Am I supposed to calculate the induced charge on the conducting plate? How do I use the fact that the plate is grounded? That means that the potential on the plate is 0 just like at infinity, but doesn't that imply there is no charge on the plate either?

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 10, 2008 #2

No, the charge on the plate is needed to keep it at V=0.
    The charge is supplied by the ground.
    Read the part in Griffith's about images for grounded plates.
  4. Mar 10, 2008 #3
    A related question: on page 123, Griffiths says "Evidently the total induced charge on the plane is -q, as (with the benefit of hindsight) you can perhaps convince yourself that it had to be."

I cannot convince myself unfortunately. How do you know this a priori? Is it related to the fact that the plate is grounded? Would it be different if the plate were not grounded?
  5. Mar 10, 2008 #4
    And also when I try to apply eqn 3.12 to this problem I get a differential equation which I have no idea how to solve:

[tex]\ddot{z} = C/z^2[/tex]

where C is a constant. What am I doing wrong?
  6. Mar 10, 2008 #5

1. The image charge is -q. By Gauss's law, that has to equal the induced surface charge on the grounded plane.

2. Use dv/dt=v(dv/dx).
  7. Mar 11, 2008 #6
    Calculate the force on the charge at a height 'x' above the plane and equate it with the equation of motion of the charge 'q'.
  8. Mar 11, 2008 #7
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?