Griffiths Problem 3.34: Analyzing Induced Charge & Grounded Plate

• Thread starter ehrenfest
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Griffiths
In summary, the conversation is about a question regarding a grounded conducting plate in Griffiths E and M book. The question asks about calculating the induced charge on the plate and how to use the fact that the plate is grounded. The conversation also touches on the concept of image charges and solving a differential equation. The summary concludes with a link to a previous discussion on the same topic.
ehrenfest

Homework Statement

This question refers to Griffiths E and M book.

If they had not told me that the charge moves, I would have guessed that it just sits there since it seems like there is nothing to exert a force on it. Am I supposed to calculate the induced charge on the conducting plate? How do I use the fact that the plate is grounded? That means that the potential on the plate is 0 just like at infinity, but doesn't that imply there is no charge on the plate either?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
No, the charge on the plate is needed to keep it at V=0.
The charge is supplied by the ground.
Read the part in Griffith's about images for grounded plates.

pam said:
No, the charge on the plate is needed to keep it at V=0.
The charge is supplied by the ground.
Read the part in Griffith's about images for grounded plates.

A related question: on page 123, Griffiths says "Evidently the total induced charge on the plane is -q, as (with the benefit of hindsight) you can perhaps convince yourself that it had to be."

I cannot convince myself unfortunately. How do you know this a priori? Is it related to the fact that the plate is grounded? Would it be different if the plate were not grounded?

And also when I try to apply eqn 3.12 to this problem I get a differential equation which I have no idea how to solve:

[tex]\ddot{z} = C/z^2[/tex]

where C is a constant. What am I doing wrong?

1. The image charge is -q. By Gauss's law, that has to equal the induced surface charge on the grounded plane.

2. Use dv/dt=v(dv/dx).

ehrenfest said:

Homework Statement

This question refers to Griffiths E and M book.

If they had not told me that the charge moves, I would have guessed that it just sits there since it seems like there is nothing to exert a force on it. Am I supposed to calculate the induced charge on the conducting plate? How do I use the fact that the plate is grounded? That means that the potential on the plate is 0 just like at infinity, but doesn't that imply there is no charge on the plate either?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Calculate the force on the charge at a height 'x' above the plane and equate it with the equation of motion of the charge 'q'.

Related to Griffiths Problem 3.34: Analyzing Induced Charge & Grounded Plate

1. What is Griffiths Problem 3.34 and why is it important?

Griffiths Problem 3.34 is a problem in electromagnetism that involves analyzing induced charges on a grounded plate. It is important because it helps us understand the behavior of electric fields and charges in different situations, which has practical applications in various fields such as electronics, telecommunications, and power systems.

2. How do you approach solving Griffiths Problem 3.34?

The first step in solving Griffiths Problem 3.34 is to carefully read and understand the problem statement. Then, using the principles of electromagnetism, you can analyze the given scenario and determine the distribution and magnitude of induced charges on the grounded plate. It is important to draw diagrams and use equations to support your analysis.

3. What are some key concepts that are involved in solving Griffiths Problem 3.34?

Some key concepts involved in solving Griffiths Problem 3.34 include the principles of electrostatics, such as Coulomb's law and Gauss's law, and the concept of grounding. Understanding the behavior of electric fields and charges in different scenarios is also crucial in solving this problem.

4. How does the presence of a grounded plate affect the induced charge in Griffiths Problem 3.34?

In Griffiths Problem 3.34, the presence of a grounded plate creates an electric field that opposes the electric field of the inducing charge. This results in a redistribution of charges on the grounded plate, with induced charges of opposite sign appearing on the surface facing the inducing charge. The magnitude of the induced charge is also affected by the distance between the inducing charge and the grounded plate.

5. What are some real-world applications of understanding induced charges and grounded plates in electromagnetism?

Understanding induced charges and grounded plates in electromagnetism has many real-world applications. For example, in electronics, it is important to understand how induced charges on a grounded metal surface can affect the performance of electronic devices. In power systems, understanding the behavior of induced charges on grounded transmission lines is crucial for maintaining the stability and reliability of the system. Similarly, in telecommunications, knowledge of induced charges and grounded plates is essential for designing efficient antennas and communication systems.