Griffiths Quantum Mechanics 2nd edition Chapter 8 equation is confusing

In summary, in Griffiths Quantum Mechanics 2nd edition, in Chapter 8, the author calculates an integral on page 323 and gets a result that is later questioned. The integral must go to zero as r2 approaches r1, but the result obtained does not satisfy this condition. The author also makes an assumption in equations 8.24 to 8.25 that sinϵ ≅ ϵ, but it is unclear how this implies sin^(-1)ϵ ≅ ϵ. However, after taking the inverse sine of both sides or using a Taylor series, it becomes clear.
edfink1
Homework Statement
Griffiths Quantum Mechanics 2nd edition
Relevant Equations
Griffiths second edition equations 8.24 and 8.25
In Griffiths Quantum Mechanics 2nd edition, in Chapter 8 he calculates the following integral on page 323
Screen Shot 2020-10-10 at 7.52.17 PM.png

and he gets
Screen Shot 2020-10-10 at 7.57.06 PM.png

I disagree with this result, I think the integral should be
Screen Shot 2020-10-10 at 7.55.18 PM.png

since

Screen Shot 2020-10-10 at 8.17.16 PM.png

Maybe somebody can explain why I am wrong? Also, from equation 8.24 to 8.25, he makes the assumption that sinϵ ≅ ϵ, but how does that imply sin^(-1)ϵ ≅ ϵ, which seems to be what he assumes to get from 8.24 to 8.25. Any insight is greatly appreciated!

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-10-10 at 3.19.14 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-10-10 at 3.19.14 PM.png
    6.1 KB · Views: 116
  • Screen Shot 2020-10-10 at 7.55.18 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-10-10 at 7.55.18 PM.png
    2.7 KB · Views: 121
Likes Delta2
Physics news on Phys.org
edfink1 said:
I disagree with this result, I think the integral should be
View attachment 270765
Note that the integral must go to zero as ##r_2## approaches ##r_1##. But your result doesn't satisfy this condition.

Check the following:
1602385130516.png
Also, from equation 8.24 to 8.25, he makes the assumption that sinϵ ≅ ϵ, but how does that imply sin^(-1)ϵ ≅ ϵ, which seems to be what he assumes to get from 8.24 to 8.25. Any insight is greatly appreciated!
Take the inverse sine of both sides of sinϵ ≅ ϵ. Or, do a Taylor series of ##\sin^{-1} x## about ##x=0## .

Likes Delta2
Thank you, I get it now!

Likes berkeman, Delta2 and TSny

1. What is the equation in Chapter 8 of Griffiths Quantum Mechanics 2nd edition that is confusing?

The equation in Chapter 8 of Griffiths Quantum Mechanics 2nd edition that is often considered confusing is the Schrödinger equation, which is used to describe the evolution of a quantum system over time.

2. Why is the Schrödinger equation in Chapter 8 of Griffiths Quantum Mechanics 2nd edition confusing?

The Schrödinger equation can be confusing because it involves complex mathematical concepts such as wave functions, operators, and eigenvalues. It also requires an understanding of linear algebra and differential equations.

3. How can I better understand the Schrödinger equation in Chapter 8 of Griffiths Quantum Mechanics 2nd edition?

One way to better understand the Schrödinger equation is to study the basics of quantum mechanics and mathematical concepts such as linear algebra and differential equations. It may also be helpful to seek out additional resources or consult with a professor or tutor.

4. Are there any tips for solving the Schrödinger equation in Chapter 8 of Griffiths Quantum Mechanics 2nd edition?

Some tips for solving the Schrödinger equation include breaking it down into smaller steps, using visual aids such as diagrams or graphs, and practicing with different examples. It may also be helpful to work with a study group or seek guidance from a professor or tutor.

5. How important is it to understand the Schrödinger equation in Chapter 8 of Griffiths Quantum Mechanics 2nd edition?

The Schrödinger equation is a fundamental concept in quantum mechanics and is essential for understanding the behavior of quantum systems. It is therefore important to have a solid understanding of this equation in order to fully grasp the principles of quantum mechanics and its applications in various fields of science and technology.