1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Group homomorphisms?

1. Jan 11, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Find all homomorphisms from Z/<5> into Z/<5>.

3. The attempt at a solution
    Is this a brute force question where we consider all the possibilities for the function?
    i.e f(0)=0,1,2,3,4
    But that would still be combinatorially difficult.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 11, 2008 #2
    If f(1) =0, then f(x) = 0 for all x. Otherwise, there is k !=0 s.t. f(x) = kx for all x. So there are exactly 5 homos. I'll let you fill in the details(I left out several).

Last edited: Jan 11, 2008
  4. Jan 11, 2008 #3
    Z/<5>={z<5>|z in Z}
    but: <5>={5^0,5^1,...}
    from your notation i understnad that <5> should be 5Z.
    first you need to specify if it's with respect to addition or multiplication.
    let's assume it's addition then 0 should be mapped to zero, and then you need
    to map everything that the operation will stay as it is, i mean that f(a+b)=f(a)+f(b)
    for example f(4+1)=f(5)=f(0)=0=f(4)+f(1) then the only couple for f(1) or f(4) are 2,3 or 4 and 1 or both zero, and this way you keep mapping between them.
    so as you said it's a brute force type of question.

5. Jan 11, 2008 #4
    edit

Last edited: Jan 11, 2008
  6. Jan 11, 2008 #5
    Presumably, <5> indicates the ideal generated by 5, and not the group.

7. Jan 11, 2008 #6

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Yes, and so Z/<5> is the quotient group, the "group of integers modulo 5" as everyone is assuming.

No, not at all. There are only 5 such homomorphisms, not 5!= 120 as you may be thinking; you cannot just assign values arbitrarily. If f is a homomorphism then f(a+ b)= f(a)+ f(b) so f(2)= f(1)+ f(1), f(3)= f(1)+ f(1)+ f(1), and f(4)= f(1)+ f(1)+ f(1)+ f(1). (Of course f(0)= 0 for every homomorphism.) Every thing depends entirely on what f(1) is and there are 5 possible values for that.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?