Group Theory - specific non-abelian case

In summary, a non-Abelian group in which H is not a subgroup can be found by looking at the permutation group S_3, as suggested by matt. After some initial confusion and attempts, it was confirmed that this group satisfies the given conditions.
audiowize

Homework Statement

Let G be an Abelian group and let H+{x^3 : x is an element of G}

Find a non-Abelian group in which H is not a subgroup

Homework Equations

I wish it was that easy...

The Attempt at a Solution

I looked at the quaternion group, and some other matrix groups, but no luck so far...

Physics news on Phys.org
What is the first non-abelian group in any reasonable ordering?

The permutation group S_3.

I looked at this also... but the cubes of the individual elements seemed closed under the operation of composition, and the identity is present... Four of us have spent about 3 hours on this without much luck, any nudging is greatly appreciated!

You should triple-check your work, because matt is never wrong. If G=S_3, what are you thinking H is?

Thanks for the help guys! I'm sure glad I don't have to take exams at midnight. A fresh set of eyes in the morning and your confirmation sure helped!

1. What is the definition of "group theory"?

Group theory is a branch of mathematics that deals with the study of groups, which are mathematical structures that represent symmetries and transformations. In group theory, a group is defined as a set of elements with a binary operation that satisfies the properties of closure, associativity, identity, and inverse.

2. What is the difference between abelian and non-abelian groups?

In an abelian group, the binary operation (usually denoted as "+") is commutative, meaning that the order in which the elements are combined does not affect the result. In a non-abelian group, the binary operation is not commutative, and the order of the elements is important in determining the result.

3. What are some examples of non-abelian groups?

Some examples of non-abelian groups include the symmetric group, dihedral group, and quaternion group. The symmetric group is the group of all permutations of a set, the dihedral group is the group of symmetries of a regular polygon, and the quaternion group is a group of 8 elements that is commonly used in physics and computer graphics.

4. How is the non-abelian case of group theory applied in real life?

The non-abelian case of group theory has many applications in different fields, such as physics, chemistry, and computer science. In physics, non-abelian groups are used to describe the fundamental forces of nature, while in chemistry, they are used to understand the symmetries of molecules. In computer science, non-abelian groups are applied in cryptography and coding theory.

5. Are there any open problems or unsolved questions in group theory, specifically in the non-abelian case?

Yes, there are still many open problems and unsolved questions in group theory, especially in the non-abelian case. Some of these include the classification of all finite simple non-abelian groups, the existence of non-abelian groups with certain properties, and the study of non-abelian groups in higher dimensions.