1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Groups of order 60 and elements of order 5

1. Aug 10, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Let G be a group with order [tex]\left| G \right| = 60[/tex]. Assume that G is simple.

Now let H be the set of all elements that can be written as a product of elements of order 5 in G. Show that H is a normal subgroup of G. Then conclude that H = G

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

I started by proving that H acutally is a subgroup.

I've then shown that there are 6 Sylow-5 subgroups in G and that they are cyclic. I know that all the elements of order 5 are the generators of the Sylow-5 subgroups. But how I can use that to show that H is normal escapes me.

All help/hints appreciated :).
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 10, 2007 #2

matt grime

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Sylow, won't help you, I don't think - the elements of order 5 do not generate Sylow-5 subgroups. The product of two elements of order 5 is not necessarily an element of order 5 (or any power of 5).

H is trivially a subgroup - there is nothing to prove there. What about normality? This is straight forward - conjugation preserves order, and notice that

gxyg^{-1} = gxg^{1-}gyg^{-1}
  4. Aug 10, 2007 #3

Homework Helper

Count the total number of elements in all the 5-sylow groups. Use that number to show that the subgroup must be normal
  5. Aug 10, 2007 #4
    Thanks for the quick help. I understand the solution now o:).
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?