1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Groups whose orders have no common factors

1. Nov 3, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Let G and G' be finite groups whose orders have no common factor. Prove that the homomorphism [tex]\varphi[/tex] G [tex]\rightarrow[/tex] G' is the trivial one [tex]\varphi[/tex] (x) =1 for all x.

3. The attempt at a solution

My thoughts are that we need to use lagrange's thm. somehow. or maybe not.

We have the order of G and G' such that. GCD( |G|, |G'|) =1.

[tex]\varphi[/tex] G [tex]\rightarrow[/tex] G'

Let |G| = n

By legranges thm.

gn [tex]\in[/tex] G = 1G

and we know that [tex]\varphi[/tex] (gn)= 1G'

But i dont really no what to do from here. It doesnt seem as if i am on the right track.

Any thoughts?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 3, 2008 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

I presume you mean prove that the only homomorphism from G to G' is [itex]\phi(g)= 1_{G'}[/itex]. Let x be a member of G, not equal to 1G. Let n be the order of x: the smallest integer n such that xn= 1G. What is the order of [itex]\phi(x)[/itex]?

4. Nov 3, 2008 #3
    The order of [tex]\varphi(x)[/tex] must divide n.

5. Nov 3, 2008 #4

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

But the order of any member of member of G must divide |G|. Since the order [itex]\phi(x)[/itex] divides n, it also divides |G|. And the order of [itex]\phi(x)[/itex] must, like the order of any member of G', must divide |G'|. What is the only number that divides both |G| and |G'|?

6. Nov 3, 2008 #5
    Holy crap youre my hero.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?