Why is the Phase Shift in Grover's Algorithm Applied to All Elements Except 0?

In summary, the conversation discusses the phase shift that is applied in Grover's algorithm and how it affects all elements except 0. The participants try to understand why this is the case and how it relates to the oracle and the desired state. The conversation also briefly mentions expressing the operation as a matrix and the importance of the desired state in the oracle.
Peter_Newman
Hi everybody,

I've read some pages in Nielsens "Quantum Computing" book, it's very interesting, but especially at Grover's algorithm, there occurs a question for me. It is said that a phase shift is performed, which is defined as follows:

##|0\rangle \rightarrow |0\rangle \\ |x\rangle \rightarrow -|x\rangle \\ \text{for } x>0##

But now I'm wondering why the phase shift is applied to all elements except 0. Why is that, what effect does that have? I have already read something, but so far no one could answer me why you omit the 0.

I would be glad, if someone can tell me why this is how it does it.

Physics news on Phys.org
Are you talking about the book by Nielsen and Chuang?

In any case, could you indicate precisely where this appears? It doesn't look like what I know about how oracles work.

Yes, I am talking about Nielsen and Chuang. I have here a link to a page where the same circuit from Nielsen and Chuang is displayed:
http://www.users.csbsju.edu/~lziegler/CS317I/GroversAlgorithm.html
Why does one apply the phase shift to all states except 0?

So first of all you apply the oracle that exactly tilts the state that is sought.
$$(-1)^{f(x)}|x\rangle$$
Then you applie the Hadamard transformation and the Grover Iterator and finally the Hadamard transformation agian. If I understand it correctly, then you can rewrite the expression as well:
$$H^{n}(2|0\rangle\langle0|-I)H^n=2|\psi\rangle\langle\psi|-I$$

I've seen somewhere that one can express that as a matrix (unfortunately I do not know exactly how to do that). But my guess is that if you do that in the matrix, you can directly see that the effects of this operation are just $$|0\rangle\rightarrow |0\rangle $$ $$|x\rangle \rightarrow -|x\rangle $$But it has to be said that this still does not answer the question why in all states except 0 the phase shift is applied ...

Last edited:
Peter_Newman said:
I've seen somewhere that one can express that as a matrix (unfortunately I do not know exactly how to do that). But my guess is that if you do that in the matrix, you can directly see that the effects of this operation are just $$|0\rangle\rightarrow |0\rangle $$ $$|x\rangle \rightarrow -|x\rangle $$But it has to be said that this still does not answer the question why in all states except 0 the phase shift is applied ...

Aren't those two expressions just saying that all states other than the one picked out by the oracle are left alone and the one picked out is inverted?

Cheers

Peter_Newman said:
I've seen somewhere that one can express that as a matrix (unfortunately I do not know exactly how to do that). But my guess is that if you do that in the matrix, you can directly see that the effects of this operation are just $$|0\rangle\rightarrow |0\rangle $$ $$|x\rangle \rightarrow -|x\rangle $$
But that's not what the oracle does. As you started yourself, the oracle performs the operation
$$(-1)^{f(x)}|x\rangle$$
Notice the appearance of ##f(x)##, not ##x##. You will get
$$|0\rangle\rightarrow |0\rangle $$ $$|x\rangle \rightarrow -|x\rangle $$
only if ##f(0) = 0##, ##f(x\neq0) = 1##.

How the oracle works depends on the implementation. It simply needs to recognise the desired state, the one for which ##f(x) = 0##. In the ##| x \rangle## basis, this is implemented as the matrix
$$
\begin{pmatrix}
-1 & 0 & \cdots \\
0 & -1 & 0 & \cdots \\
& & \ddots & \\
& & 0 & 1 & 0 & \cdots \\
& & & 0 & -1 & 0 & \cdots \\
& & & & & \ddots \\
\end{pmatrix}
$$
where the ##1## is in the row corresponding to the desired ##|x\rangle##.

1. What is the Grover algorithm phase shift?

The Grover algorithm phase shift is a key component of the Grover quantum search algorithm. It is a mathematical operation that is used to amplify the amplitude of the desired state in a quantum system, making it more likely to be measured as the output of the algorithm.

2. How does the Grover algorithm phase shift work?

The Grover algorithm phase shift involves applying a phase shift to the desired state in a quantum system. This phase shift is calculated based on the number of elements in the system and the number of iterations of the algorithm. The phase shift amplifies the amplitude of the desired state, making it more likely to be measured as the output.

3. What is the purpose of the Grover algorithm phase shift?

The purpose of the Grover algorithm phase shift is to increase the probability of measuring the desired state as the output of the Grover algorithm. This is essential for the success of the algorithm, as it helps to distinguish the desired state from other states in the system.

4. How is the Grover algorithm phase shift different from other quantum algorithms?

The Grover algorithm phase shift is unique to the Grover quantum search algorithm and is not used in other quantum algorithms. It is a crucial step in the algorithm that helps to amplify the desired state and improve the efficiency of the search process.

5. Are there any limitations or drawbacks to the Grover algorithm phase shift?

One limitation of the Grover algorithm phase shift is that it requires knowledge of the number of elements in the system. This can be a challenge in some applications where the size of the system is not known beforehand. Additionally, the phase shift can also introduce errors in the system, which can impact the accuracy of the algorithm's results.