Growing Oxide Layers in electrostatic fields

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of creating an oxide layer with a permanent electric field using an electrostatic field. While there are devices called electrets and charged capacitors that have a permanent electric field, it is unlikely that an oxide layer created in the described manner would have a permanent electric field.
Samson4
Can an electrostatic field be used to create an oxide layer that has a permanent electric field?

For a specific example; an aluminium domed van de graaff generator with no oxide layer. If it is turned on and allowed to contact oxygen, would the oxide layer store a permanent electric field?

Physics news on Phys.org
There are devices called electrets that have a permanent electric field, like a permanent magnet has a permanent magnetic field. The dielectric layer in a charged capacitor has a "permanent" electric field, at least until leakage currents neutralize the charge.

phyzguy said:
There are devices called electrets that have a permanent electric field, like a permanent magnet has a permanent magnetic field. The dielectric layer in a charged capacitor has a "permanent" electric field, at least until leakage currents neutralize the charge.
Yes I know; but, can one be made in the manner I described?

Samson4 said:
Yes I know; but, can one be made in the manner I described?

I don't think so. I think the applied electric field in an oxide grown in this fashion would just relax when you took away the applied field. Why should it persist?

Likes Samson4

Related to Growing Oxide Layers in electrostatic fields

1. What is the purpose of growing oxide layers in electrostatic fields?

The purpose of growing oxide layers in electrostatic fields is to create a thin layer of oxide on a surface, typically a metal, for various applications in electronic devices. This layer can improve the electrical properties and stability of the metal, making it more suitable for use in electronic components.

2. How are oxide layers grown in electrostatic fields?

Oxide layers can be grown in electrostatic fields through a process called anodization. In this process, the metal surface is submerged in an electrolyte solution and connected to a positive electrode. A negative electrode is also placed in the solution, and an electric current is applied. This causes the growth of an oxide layer on the metal surface.

3. What factors affect the growth of oxide layers in electrostatic fields?

The growth of oxide layers in electrostatic fields can be affected by several factors, including the type of metal being used, the composition and concentration of the electrolyte solution, the applied voltage, and the duration of the anodization process.

4. What are the benefits of growing oxide layers in electrostatic fields?

Growing oxide layers in electrostatic fields can enhance the electrical properties of metals, making them more suitable for use in electronic devices. This process can also improve the corrosion resistance and durability of the metal, making it more reliable for long-term use.

5. Are there any limitations or drawbacks to growing oxide layers in electrostatic fields?

One limitation of growing oxide layers in electrostatic fields is that it can only be applied to certain types of metals, typically those with a high affinity for oxygen. Additionally, the anodization process can be time-consuming and may require specialized equipment, making it more expensive compared to other surface treatment methods.