Pistol Signal Flare Range: Utah & Moon (55° Angle)

• Thread starter Fanjoni
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Angle Gun
In summary, by resolving the initial velocity of the signal flare and using principles of motion with constant acceleration, the horizontal range of the flare can be calculated. The horizontal range on the level salt flats of Utah is determined by the initial horizontal velocity and the time in flight, while the horizontal range on the moon's flat Sea of Tranquility is affected by the lower acceleration due to gravity.
Fanjoni
A pistol that fires a signal flare gives the flare an initial speed (muzzle speed) of 185 m/s.
(a) If the flare is fired at an angle of 55° above the horizontal on the level salt flats of Utah, what is its horizontal range? You can ignore air resistance.
(b) If the flare is fired at the same angle over the flat Sea of Tranquility on the moon, where g = 1.6 m/s2, what is its horizontal range?

I am just going blank i tried solving for range but am lost:mad: :mad:

Physics news on Phys.org
Fanjoni said:
A pistol that fires a signal flare gives the flare an initial speed (muzzle speed) of 185 m/s.
(a) If the flare is fired at an angle of 55° above the horizontal on the level salt flats of Utah, what is its horizontal range? You can ignore air resistance.
(b) If the flare is fired at the same angle over the flat Sea of Tranquility on the moon, where g = 1.6 m/s2, what is its horizontal range?

I am just going blank i tried solving for range but am lost:mad: :mad:

Resolve the initial velocity into horizontal and vertical components. Use what you know about motion with constant acceleration to figure out how long it will take for an object moving upward with the vertical component of the flare velocity to return to the ground. The horizontal motion of the flare has no effect on the vertical motion, so the time in flight depnds only on the initial vertical velocity and the acceleration. Once you have the time in flight, use the (constant) horizontal component of velocity to figure out how far the flare moves horizontally; that is the range.

Thanks i finaly got it it took me a while
This is what i did

185*sin55 =V(ertical speed)
V/g = T(ime to stop vertically) T*2=total time
185*cos55 = v(horizontal speed)

t*v=R(horizontal range)

I did the same for the moon g = 1.6

Thanks

Related to Pistol Signal Flare Range: Utah & Moon (55° Angle)

1. What is the purpose of a pistol signal flare range?

A pistol signal flare range is used to launch a flare into the air to signal for help or to mark a specific location. It is commonly used in emergency situations or for military training purposes.

2. How far can a pistol signal flare travel?

The distance a pistol signal flare can travel depends on the angle at which it is launched and the wind conditions. Generally, a flare launched at a 55° angle can travel up to 5 miles.

3. Can a pistol signal flare be used on the moon?

Yes, a pistol signal flare can be used on the moon with some modifications. The lack of atmosphere on the moon would affect the trajectory and distance of the flare, but it could still be used as a signaling device.

4. Is a pistol signal flare safe to use?

When used properly and according to instructions, a pistol signal flare is generally considered safe. However, it is important to handle and launch the flare with caution, as the heat and sparks produced can cause burns or start fires.

5. Are there any regulations for using a pistol signal flare range in Utah?

Yes, there are regulations for using a pistol signal flare range in Utah. These regulations may vary depending on the specific location and situation, so it is important to consult local authorities before using a pistol signal flare range in Utah.