Gymnastics max torque on the High Bar

• Thread starter knapklara
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Max Torque
In summary: I think you are to qualitatively compare the CoM of the gymnast (think about how his CoM is changing as he is extending and contracting), as well as the component of his weight perpendicular to the line joining his CoM to the axis of rotation for each position shown. If you think about it like this, the answer will become...pretty clear!
knapklara
Homework Statement
Where is the maximum torque when a gymnast is doing a giant (circle around the bar)?
Relevant Equations
The giant goes counter clockwise. In my opinion the maximum torque is at 3/4 of the circle. How to further explain the answer?
The-backward-giant-circle-on-the-high-bar-The-gymnast-circles-from-the-handstand_Q640.jpg

Physics news on Phys.org
knapklara said:
Homework Statement:: Where is the maximum torque when a gymnast is doing a giant (circle around the bar)?
Relevant Equations:: The giant goes counter clockwise. In my opinion the maximum torque is at 3/4 of the circle. How to further explain the answer?

View attachment 301261

Are you familiar with the vector equation for torque? If not, what is the equation that you use to calculate torque, and what defines the angle in that equation? :smile:

It should be no torque on the bar, other than the induced by the friction between rotating hands and fixed bar, which gymnasts reduce as much as possible using powder and gloves.
Perhaps you refer to the pronounced bending effect of the rotating mass on the bar?

knapklara said:
Homework Statement:: Where is the maximum torque when a gymnast is doing a giant (circle around the bar)?
Relevant Equations:: The giant goes counter clockwise. In my opinion the maximum torque is at 3/4 of the circle. How to further explain the answer?

View attachment 301261
You are assuming a friction-free grip on the bar and a rigid man?

And you want the position where the force of the bar on the man's hand exerts the most torque about the man's center of mass?

It seems to me that there is a straightforward way to determine the torque supplied by the bar on the man's hands about the man's center of mass. But first one needs to know the man's angular acceleration.

There is a straightforward way to know the man's angular acceleration: Can you figure out the net torque on the man about the bar?

Of course, I haven't given enough detail. My question would be the biggest torque on the athlete. Do I make sense?

knapklara said:
Of course, I haven't given enough detail. My question would be the biggest torque on the athlete. Do I make sense?
About what reference axis? Unless the net force is zero, torque is only unambiguous if an axis is specified.

jbriggs444 said:
You are assuming a friction-free grip on the bar and a rigid man?

And you want the position where the force of the bar on the man's hand exerts the most torque about the man's center of mass?

It seems to me that there is a straightforward way to determine the torque supplied by the bar on the man's hands about the man's center of mass. But first one needs to know the man's angular acceleration.

There is a straightforward way to know the man's angular acceleration: Can you figure out the net torque on the man about the bar?
The gymnast in the accompanying diagram does not seem to be assumed rigid. It seems like they want us to consider how the CoM is changing in each position. I wonder if this is supposed to be qualitative exploration?

Last edited:
erobz said:
The gymnast in the accompanying diagram does not seem to be assumed rigid. It seems like they want us to consider how the CoM is changing in each position I wonder if this is supposed to be qualitative exploration?
That is a sensible interpretation. Maximum torque from gravity about the bar.

Likes berkeman and erobz
jbriggs444 said:
That is a sensible interpretation. Maximum torque from gravity about the bar.
Indeed, it is this torque that provides angular acceleration, allowing the athlete to rotate faster around the bar. In order for this not to cancel out in between both sides, the athlete must change the torque by gravity when going up relative to when going down.

Orodruin said:
the athlete must change the torque by gravity when going up relative to when going down.
Alternately, the athlete may arrange for the time interval going up to be less than the time interval going down. [The same sort of contortions that assist in the one tend to assist in the other, so it is difficult to separate out the two tactics]

Likes Orodruin
I guess I'm meant to observe the athlete as a lever. I'm not sure how to give a better explanation since English is not my first language. Isn't it the biggest torque at about 90° angle if we consider gravity in the first half of the motion, kind of similar as when doing a biceps curl?

knapklara said:
I guess I'm meant to observe the athlete as a lever. I'm not sure how to give a better explanation since English is not my first language. Isn't it the biggest torque at about 90° angle if we consider gravity in the first half of the motion, kind of similar as when doing a biceps curl?
I think you are to qualitatively compare the CoM of the gymnast (think about how his CoM is changing as he is extending and contracting), as well as the component of his weight perpendicular to the line joining his CoM to the axis of rotation for each position shown. If you think about it like this, the answer will become apparent.

What is "max torque" in gymnastics?

"Max torque" refers to the maximum amount of rotational force or torque that a gymnast can generate while performing on the high bar. This is an important measure of strength and technique in gymnastics, as it allows gymnasts to perform more difficult and complex skills on the high bar.

How is max torque measured in gymnastics?

Max torque is typically measured in units of Newton-meters (Nm) using specialized equipment such as a dynamometer. This equipment is attached to the high bar and measures the amount of force or torque generated by the gymnast during their routine.

Why is max torque important in gymnastics?

Max torque is important in gymnastics because it directly correlates with the difficulty and execution of skills performed on the high bar. The higher the max torque a gymnast can generate, the more challenging and impressive skills they can perform, leading to higher scores in competitions.

How can a gymnast increase their max torque on the high bar?

There are several ways a gymnast can increase their max torque on the high bar. This includes strength training exercises that target the muscles used in high bar routines, such as the shoulders, back, and core. Additionally, proper technique and form can also help a gymnast generate more torque during their routines.

Is there a limit to how much max torque a gymnast can generate on the high bar?

Yes, there is a limit to how much max torque a gymnast can generate on the high bar. This is dependent on factors such as the gymnast's strength, technique, and body size. However, with consistent training and proper technique, a gymnast can continue to increase their max torque over time.