What Are the Forces Acting on a Gyroscope and How Can They Be Calculated?

In summary, the conversation discusses a video on YouTube that shows a gyroscopic device in action. The person asking the questions wants to understand the forces acting on the gyro and the momentum that keeps the cheese from falling. They also ask about calculating the force needed to bring the cheese down to the ground. The conversation then shifts to a website that explains the math behind gyroscopes and the confusion over the "omega" part in the video. The person expresses frustration at not receiving a response to their questions.
dislect
Hello everyone,

I saw this video in youtube:
And I have some questions, can someone please explain me the forces acting on this gyro? what is the momentum that keeps the cheese from falling, the direction of its action don't add up to me

Also, how could i calculate the force needed to take down the cheese to the ground given that the RPM is constant (electric motor), unlike in the video above?

Thanks a lot,
sharon

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hello again,
i tried using the following website after reading about gyros:
http://www.gyroscopes.org/math.asp
what i don't understand is the omega part, it seems to be zero in the youtube video so how come the coupling force is so big?

thanks

no one? realy?
is it like holiday now or something? :-)

1. What is a gyroscope force?

A gyroscope force is the force exerted on an object due to its rotation around an axis. This force is perpendicular to the axis of rotation and is responsible for maintaining the object's orientation in space.

2. How does a gyroscope force work?

A gyroscope force works by utilizing the principle of conservation of angular momentum. As the gyroscope spins, it creates a torque that acts to keep the gyroscope's orientation fixed in space, resisting any external forces that may try to change it.

3. What are the practical applications of gyroscope force?

Gyroscope force is used in various applications, such as navigation systems, gyrocompasses, and stabilization of vehicles, ships, and aircraft. It is also used in consumer electronics, such as smartphones and gaming controllers, to detect and measure rotational movements.

4. Can a gyroscope force be affected by external factors?

Yes, a gyroscope force can be affected by external factors such as friction, air resistance, and external forces acting on the object. These factors can cause the gyroscope to slow down, change its orientation, or even stop spinning.

5. How is a gyroscope force different from a centrifugal force?

A gyroscope force is a real force that acts on an object due to its rotation, while a centrifugal force is a perceived force that appears to act on an object due to its circular motion. In reality, the centrifugal force is just the inertia of the object trying to keep it moving in a straight line.