Operators: H(t1+t2) = Ht1+Ht2? | Harmitian?

• Thread starter Cosmossos
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses linear operators and their properties, including commutativity and the distinction between Hermitian and non-Hermitian operators. It also suggests resources for finding more information about operators and their properties.
Cosmossos
Hello,
Is it correct to say that H(t1+t2)=Ht1+Ht2? I think it's true but I can't say exacly why.
And also, is it true that Ht2*Ht1-Ht1*Ht2=0?
would the answer change if we know the operator is harmitian or not?
Do you have any idea where can I find a summary about operators ?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org

An operator which commutes under addition and subtraction is called a linear operator, i.e. H is linear iff

H(t1+t2)=Ht1+Ht2, and
H(ct)=c(Ht).

It can be shown that every Hermitian operator is linear and commutes with itself ( [H,H]=0 ).

If you don't know the operator is Hermitian, or linear, then the commutativity requires proof.

Search wolfram mathworld for more info, http://mathworld.wolfram.com/LinearOperator.html

Last edited:

Are the t's vectors? Is H(t) supposed to be a time-dependent (Heisenberg picture) operator? If it's the latter, use A(t)=exp(iHt)A exp(-iHt).

I suggest you check out this book, but almost any book on QM or linear algebra will do.

Last edited:

Related to Operators: H(t1+t2) = Ht1+Ht2? | Harmitian?

What is the meaning of "Operators" in the equation H(t1+t2) = Ht1+Ht2?

In this equation, "Operators" refers to mathematical objects that operate on a given system to produce a result. In this case, H is the operator and t1 and t2 are the parameters that it is operating on.

What is the significance of H(t1+t2) = Ht1+Ht2 in scientific research?

This equation is significant in scientific research because it demonstrates the principle of superposition, which states that the combined effect of two operators acting on a system is equivalent to the sum of their individual effects.

What does "Hermitian" mean in relation to this equation?

"Hermitian" refers to a mathematical property of operators, also known as self-adjointness. In this context, it means that the operator H is equal to its own adjoint (conjugate transpose), which leads to important properties and relationships in quantum mechanics.

How is the equation H(t1+t2) = Ht1+Ht2 used in quantum mechanics?

In quantum mechanics, this equation is used to describe the evolution of a quantum system over time. The operator H represents the Hamiltonian, which is the total energy of the system. By using this equation, scientists can predict the state of a quantum system at any given time.

Are there any limitations to the equation H(t1+t2) = Ht1+Ht2?

Yes, there are limitations to this equation. It only applies to systems that are in a state of superposition, meaning they can exist in multiple states simultaneously. It also assumes that the operators are linear, meaning they follow the rules of addition and multiplication. Additionally, this equation is only valid for systems that are in a stable state, and it does not take into account any external factors that may affect the system.