Hadronic Electrons (Wolfram article, 1975)

In summary, Stephen Wolfram's original paper discusses his theory that electrons are composed of new particles called "bitons" and interact with a new "superstrong" force. However, this theory has not been experimentally proven and other explanations for similar phenomena have been proposed.
kweba
I've come across Stephen Wolfram's (creator of Mathematica) original paper in the 70s when he authored it when he was still a teenager, I think (which is pretty genius).

Anyway it's about electrons that seemed to have "a neutral vector gluon cloud" and interact with gluons and the strong interaction . I was shocked to read about this and wondered if this is experimentally true? Are there really "Hadronic Electrons"?

Here's the article/paper from the website for reference: http://www.stephenwolfram.com/publications/articles/particle/75-hadronic/index.html

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
kweba said:
I've come across Stephen Wolfram's (creator of Mathematica) original paper in the 70s when he authored it when he was still a teenager, I think (which is pretty genius).

Anyway it's about electrons that seemed to have "a neutral vector gluon cloud" and interact with gluons and the strong interaction . I was shocked to read about this and wondered if this is experimentally true? Are there really "Hadronic Electrons"?

Here's the article/paper from the website for reference: http://www.stephenwolfram.com/publications/articles/particle/75-hadronic/index.html

His model is one in which the electron is a composite of new particles he calls "bitons." The interaction holding the bitons together is a new "superstrong" one that should not be confused with the hadronic strong force. While he calls the gauge bosons of this new force "gluons," they are not the same as the gluons that mediate the strong force. Furthermore he supposes that hadrons also participate in this new superstrong interaction.

Composite leptons and new superstrong forces have been studied for a long time (some early references are cited in the Wolfram paper), but so far not observed. The "scaling violation and narrow resonances" mentioned in the paper were explained by the addition of QCD and the charmed quark to the Standard Model.

FAQ: Hadronic Electrons (Wolfram article, 1975)

1. What are Hadronic Electrons?

Hadronic Electrons, also known as Hadrons, are subatomic particles that are composed of quarks and gluons. They are the building blocks of protons and neutrons, which make up the nuclei of atoms.

2. How are Hadronic Electrons different from regular electrons?

Regular electrons are fundamental particles that have a negative charge and are part of the lepton family. Hadronic Electrons, on the other hand, are composite particles that have a non-zero size and are subject to the strong nuclear force.

3. What is the significance of the Wolfram article on Hadronic Electrons?

The Wolfram article, published in 1975, proposed the existence of Hadronic Electrons as a solution to the problem of mass generation in particle physics. It provided a new perspective on the nature of subatomic particles and their interactions.

4. Are there any experimental evidences for the existence of Hadronic Electrons?

While there have been some experimental studies and observations that suggest the existence of Hadronic Electrons, their existence has not yet been conclusively proven. Further research and experiments are needed to confirm their existence.

5. How do Hadronic Electrons impact our understanding of the universe?

The existence of Hadronic Electrons challenges our current understanding of the fundamental particles and their interactions. It also has implications for our understanding of the structure and evolution of the universe, as well as the development of new theories and models in particle physics.