Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Hadronic Electrons (Wolfram article, 1975)

1. Jan 4, 2013 #1
    I've come across Stephen Wolfram's (creator of Mathematica) original paper in the 70s when he authored it when he was still a teenager, I think (which is pretty genius).

Anyway it's about electrons that seemed to have "a neutral vector gluon cloud" and interact with gluons and the strong interaction . I was shocked to read about this and wondered if this is experimentally true? Are there really "Hadronic Electrons"?

Here's the article/paper from the website for reference: http://www.stephenwolfram.com/publications/articles/particle/75-hadronic/index.html

Last edited: Jan 4, 2013
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 5, 2013 #2

fzero

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

His model is one in which the electron is a composite of new particles he calls "bitons." The interaction holding the bitons together is a new "superstrong" one that should not be confused with the hadronic strong force. While he calls the gauge bosons of this new force "gluons," they are not the same as the gluons that mediate the strong force. Furthermore he supposes that hadrons also participate in this new superstrong interaction.

Composite leptons and new superstrong forces have been studied for a long time (some early references are cited in the Wolfram paper), but so far not observed. The "scaling violation and narrow resonances" mentioned in the paper were explained by the addition of QCD and the charmed quark to the Standard Model.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook