Confusion with Hailstone Collision Momentum Calculation

• Thread starter kiwikahuna
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Momentum
In summary, the conversation is about a physics problem involving hailstones hitting a window and the calculation of average force. The person working on the problem is confused about why the momentum in the x direction is multiplied by two. Another person explains that it is because the initial and final values for Px have opposite signs and the change in momentum must be calculated.
kiwikahuna

Homework Statement

I'm working on a similar problem and someone else solved the problem (along with the steps). I looked at what they did but I'm really confused on 2 of the steps.

Here is the problem:

In a 30-s interval, 500 hailstones strike a glass window of area 0.60 m2 at an angle of 45o to the window surface. Each hailstone has a mass of 5.0 g (0.005 kg) and a speed of 8.0 m/s. If the collisions are elastic, find the average force.

The Attempt at a Solution

vx = v cos 45o (Why is it not sin 45?)

vx = (8.0 m/s)(0.707) = 5.66 m/s

px = m vx = (0.005 kg)(5.66 m/s) = 2.83 x 10 - 2 kg-m/s

I understand everything up to this next step. What I don't understand is why is the momentum in the x direction multipied by two?

px = 2 px = 5.66 x 10 - 2 kg-m/s

F = pxtot/t

F = (500)(5.66 x 10 - 2 kg-m/s)/30 s

F = 0.943 kg-m/s2

F = 0.943 N

Physics news on Phys.org
kiwikahuna said:
vx = v cos 45o (Why is it not sin 45?)

Sin(45) = Cos(45).

A substantial understanding of trig is going to be crucial throughout your physics course(s). Review the unit circle, if you're having trouble with this concept.

OH, I see! But what is the reason for multiplying Px two times?

kiwikahuna said:
OH, I see! But what is the reason for multiplying Px two times?
Because what you really need in order to calculate the force is the change in momentum of each hailstone. Realize that the initial and final values for Px have opposite signs, since they are in opposite directions. If Pxi = Px and Pxf = -Px, then [itex]\Delta Px = (-Px) - (Px) = -2Px[/itex]. Make sense?

perfect sense. thank you!

FAQ: Confusion with Hailstone Collision Momentum Calculation

What are hailstones and how are they formed?

Hailstones are small, solid pieces of ice that form in thunderstorms. They are formed when water droplets in the upper atmosphere are carried by strong updrafts and freeze, creating layers of ice around a central nucleus. As the hailstone gets heavier, it falls to the ground due to gravity.

What factors affect the size and shape of hailstones?

The size and shape of hailstones can be affected by several factors, including the temperature and moisture content of the atmosphere, the strength of the updrafts, and the amount of time the hailstone spends in the updrafts. Hailstones can range in size from pea-sized to golf ball-sized, and their shape can vary from spherical to irregular.

How does momentum play a role in hailstone formation?

Momentum is a key factor in hailstone formation. As water droplets are carried by strong updrafts, they gain momentum and collide with other droplets, causing them to freeze and stick together. This process continues until the hailstone becomes too heavy and falls to the ground.

What is the relationship between hailstones and severe weather?

Hailstones are often associated with severe weather, such as thunderstorms and tornadoes. This is because the strong updrafts needed for hailstone formation are also present in these types of weather events. Additionally, large hailstones can cause damage to buildings, vehicles, and crops, making them a potential threat during severe weather events.

Can hailstones be predicted and controlled?

Hailstone prediction is a challenging task, as it requires accurate measurements of atmospheric conditions and the ability to track and predict the movement of strong updrafts. Currently, there is no technology available to control or prevent the formation of hailstones. However, efforts are being made to develop methods for reducing the damage caused by large hailstones, such as using hail nets and seeding clouds with materials to prevent the formation of large hailstones.