What causes hair loss and how can it be treated?

In summary, the conversation discusses the topic of hair loss and the difficulty in finding reliable information and effective treatments. The main cause of hair loss is genetic, but there are other underlying factors that can contribute. The available treatments are often expensive and may have unwanted side effects, leading many individuals to resort to simply accepting their hair loss or shaving their heads. Some men have had negative experiences with hair transplant treatments, resulting in scarring and no hair growth. Overall, there is ongoing research in this area due to the high demand for effective and affordable solutions for hair loss.
aiden smith
I want to know more about hair loss issue. The basic idea to stop hair loss by knowing the main cause of hair loss. Also provide some valid hair loss treatment available in the market

Biology news on Phys.org
I was on a treatment on excemption from approval, for a while. It seemed to work, but my ass got fatter, and it was expensive, It supposedly reduced di-hydro-testoterone-levels in head-skin.. "Pro-pecia" it was called. I don't rememer who made it, but they would have made some money.. I decided to quit. I had an accepting girlfriend by then.. Whether it would have worked forever, I don't know.

That's the usual story, and it's the gist of the Embarrassing Bodes episode - there are treatments that can be sort of effective but they are expensive, lots of bother, and the return on investment is small. The causes are fairly well known tho.

The usual male pattern baldness the various treatments you see on TV are targeting is genetic and it's more that the hair folicles stop making long hair on parts of the head (same mechanism that means you have short hair over most of your body, none on your palms etc. But there are other causes of hair loss so it's a big subject - there's lots of money in it too, so there s lots of research. So far the only effective cheap treatment is to get over it. Lots of guys I know just shave their heads when the thinning shows.

I know men that have tried the hair transplant treatments and ended up with no hair, but extensive scarring which was much worse than the balding. They were disfigured.

What causes hair loss?

There are many different factors that can contribute to hair loss, including genetics, hormonal changes, medical conditions, and certain medications. Stress and poor nutrition can also play a role.

How is hair loss diagnosed?

A doctor will typically perform a physical exam and may also order blood tests or a scalp biopsy to determine the cause of hair loss. They may also ask about family history, recent changes in medication or diet, and any other symptoms that may be present.

Can hair loss be prevented?

While some types of hair loss may not be preventable, there are steps you can take to promote healthy hair growth. These include eating a balanced diet, managing stress, avoiding harsh hair treatments, and using gentle hair care products.

What are the most common treatments for hair loss?

The most common treatments for hair loss include medications such as minoxidil and finasteride, hair transplant surgery, and low-level laser therapy. It is important to consult with a doctor to determine the best treatment plan for your specific type of hair loss.

Can hair loss be reversed?

The answer to this question depends on the underlying cause of the hair loss. In some cases, hair loss may be temporary and can be reversed with proper treatment. However, in other cases, such as genetic hair loss, the hair loss may be permanent and can only be managed, not reversed.