Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Half-range sine expansion

1. Sep 20, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Hi all.

I have to find the half-range sine expansion of a function f(x) = 1 for 0<x<2. My question is: This function is not piecewise smooth, so why does the book ask me to do this?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 20, 2008 #2

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Hi Niles! :smile:

It looks piecewise smooth to me …

what definition of "piecewise smooth" are you using? :smile:

4. Sep 21, 2008 #3
    That f and f' must be piecewise continuous, i.e. that there are a finite number of discontinuities, where the limits exists.

f is "piecewise" continuous, so that is OK. But f' is defined on the interval 0 < x < 2 with no discontinuities?

Last edited: Sep 21, 2008
  5. Sep 21, 2008 #4

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

f' = 0 on the interval 0 < x < 2 … that's continuous, isn't it? :wink:

6. Sep 21, 2008 #5
    Yes, but if there are no discontinuities for either f or f', then f is simply just smooth? Does this count as f being piecewise smooth?

7. Sep 21, 2008 #6
    That's right. In this case, there are two pieces, and in each piece, f and f' are both continuous.

8. Sep 21, 2008 #7
    According to my book, if a function f is defined on an interval 0 < x < p, and if f is piecewise smooth, then it has a sine series expansion.

In this case f is defined on 0 < x < 2. but it is only smooth - not piecewise smooth - on this interval?

9. Sep 21, 2008 #8

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Everything that's smooth is a fortiori (all the more so) piecewise smooth! :biggrin:

10. Sep 21, 2008 #9
    So "smooth > piecewise smooth"?

I just thought that there had to be some discontinuities.

11. Sep 21, 2008 #10

HallsofIvy

Science Advisor

Generally speaking "piecewise smooth" does include "smooth". But here, since you are talking about a "half-range sine expansion", you are assuming that the function is odd (as is sin(nx) for all x). That is, the full range is -2 to 2 and f(x)= -1 for -2< x< 0, 1 for 0< x< 2 and is periodic over all real numbers with period 4. That is surely "piecewise" smooth.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook