1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Hall effect experiment

1. Nov 30, 2006 #1
    Using the leybold hall effect apparatus for silver http://www.leybold-didactic.com/phk/produkte.asp product ID: 58681. Dimensions
    l = 0.064m (distance between contact), breadth 0.02m, and thickness 5E-5 m micrometers. Resistivity of silver [tex] \rho = 1.89x10^{-8} \Omega m [/tex]
    Resistance [tex] R = \rho\frac{L}{A} [/tex]
    [tex] R = 1.89x10^{-8} \Omega m \frac{0.064}{0.02.5x10^{-5}} = 0.0012 \Omega [/tex]

The instructions say to put a 20 A (2V) current across the sample, but from Ohms law [tex] V = IR [/tex] to get a 2V potentia difference we would need to pump a huge current through it. We had the resistance the contact resistances measured and they were in the microohm range, I'm told.
    Since we haven't got the leybold suggested power supply, my professor is reluctant to put 20A across it because the above suggests it would melt (the silver strip is pretty expensive). Obviously I'm missing somethign simple here but I'm not sure what.
    Last edited: Nov 30, 2006
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 30, 2006 #2
    hmm, I guess for 20 A current the voltage is just going to reduce to 0.024 V.
    Last edited: Nov 30, 2006
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?