Solving Hall Voltage Problem Homework Statement

In summary, the Hall effect is the production of a voltage difference (the Hall voltage) across an electrical conductor, transverse to an electric current in the conductor and a magnetic field perpendicular to the current. The magnetostatic force acting on a moving charge passing through uniform magnetic field is given by,F = qvB. Where, B = magnetic field strength (unit Tesla), v = velocity of charged particle that is perpendicular to the magnetic field lines. F is perpendicular to both velocity and magnetic field.
PhyBoy

Homework Statement

[See the figure attached]
a) Find the relation between velocity of electron v and current I.
b) Because of the magnetic force on the electron they move at the edge of
conductor as shown in the figure and create a electrostatic force that oppomagnetostatic force. Find the expression for electrostatic force and magnetforce when they balance each other.
c) At equilibrium find an expression for Hall voltage V
in terms of magneelectron’s velocity v and width d.
H
Now, in a Hall-effect experiment, a current of 3.0 A sent lengthwise through a co1.0 cm wide, 4.0 cm long, and 10 mm thick produces a transverse (across the wpotential difference of 10 mV when a magnetic field of 1.5 T is passed perpendihrough the thickness of the conductor. From these data, find the number of elper unit volume of the conductor.

Homework Equations

The Hall effect is the production of a voltage difference (the Hall voltage) across
an electrical conductor, transverse to an electric current in the conductor and a magnetic
field perpendicular to the current..The magnetostatic force acting on a moving charge passing through uniform magnetic field is given by,F = qvB. Where, B = magnetic field strength (unit Tesla), v =
velocity of charged particle that is perpendicular to the magnetic field lines. F is
perpendicular to both velocity and magnetic field.

The Attempt at a Solution

Hall Voltage seems different from the normal textbook voltage problems that I have encountered. So, I couldn't make some satisfactory advancement.

Attachments

• bbbbbh.JPG
    bbbbbh.JPG
    17.7 KB · Views: 603
Sorry, I didn't get you properly. But if you are pointing towards following the template I think I have done so. Uploading the photo is important to understand and solve the problem.
Thanks for your reply.
It would be very helpful if you point towards my mistake.what I have done again?

PhyBoy said:
Sorry, I didn't get you properly. But if you are pointing towards following the template I think I have done so. Uploading the photo is important to understand and solve the problem.
Thanks for your reply.
It would be very helpful if you point towards my mistake.what I have done again?
You haven't done anything wrong. The automated courtesy bump simply moved your thread back up the thread list to make it more visible to helpers. This occurs when a thread languishes without responses for period of time, so that it gets another chance to be considered by the helpers.

For your problem, I suggest that you take a look at the Hyperphysics website entry for hall effect.

Likes PhyBoy
Thanks for clarifying

What is the Hall voltage problem?

The Hall voltage problem is a common physics homework problem that involves calculating the voltage generated by a magnetic field acting on a current-carrying conductor. It is used to demonstrate the principles of the Hall effect, which describes the behavior of charged particles in a magnetic field.

Why is solving the Hall voltage problem important?

Solving the Hall voltage problem is important because it helps students understand the relationship between magnetic fields, current, and voltage. It also allows them to practice using mathematical equations and solving problems in a scientific manner.

What are the key steps in solving the Hall voltage problem?

There are several key steps in solving the Hall voltage problem, including determining the direction and magnitude of the magnetic field, finding the charge carrier density and velocity, and using the Hall effect equation to calculate the Hall voltage. It is also important to pay attention to the units and use consistent units throughout the problem.

What are some common mistakes when solving the Hall voltage problem?

Some common mistakes when solving the Hall voltage problem include using incorrect units, not considering the direction of the magnetic field, and not paying attention to the sign of the charge carrier. It is also important to double-check calculations and use the correct equations for the given scenario.

How can I improve my problem-solving skills for the Hall voltage problem?

One way to improve problem-solving skills for the Hall voltage problem is to practice solving similar problems with different values and scenarios. It is also helpful to break down the problem into smaller steps and make sure each step is accurate before moving on. Seeking help from a tutor or classmate can also provide additional insight and improve understanding.