1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Hall Voltage Problem

1. Feb 11, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    [See the figure attached]
    a) Find the relation between velocity of electron v and current I.
    b) Because of the magnetic force on the electron they move at the edge of
    conductor as shown in the figure and create a electrostatic force that oppomagnetostatic force. Find the expression for electrostatic force and magnetforce when they balance each other.
    c) At equilibrium find an expression for Hall voltage V
    in terms of magneelectron’s velocity v and width d.
    H
    Now, in a Hall-effect experiment, a current of 3.0 A sent lengthwise through a co1.0 cm wide, 4.0 cm long, and 10 mm thick produces a transverse (across the wpotential difference of 10 mV when a magnetic field of 1.5 T is passed perpendihrough the thickness of the conductor. From these data, find the number of elper unit volume of the conductor.

2. Relevant equations
    The Hall effect is the production of a voltage difference (the Hall voltage) across
    an electrical conductor, transverse to an electric current in the conductor and a magnetic
    field perpendicular to the current..The magnetostatic force acting on a moving charge passing through uniform magnetic field is given by,F = qvB. Where, B = magnetic field strength (unit Tesla), v =
    velocity of charged particle that is perpendicular to the magnetic field lines. F is
    perpendicular to both velocity and magnetic field.

3. The attempt at a solution
    Hall Voltage seems different from the normal textbook voltage problems that I have encountered. So, I couldn't make some satisfactory advancement.

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 16, 2016 #2
    Thanks for the post! This is an automated courtesy bump. Sorry you aren't generating responses at the moment. Do you have any further information, come to any new conclusions or is it possible to reword the post?

4. Feb 17, 2016 #3
    Sorry, I didn't get you properly. But if you are pointing towards following the template I think I have done so. Uploading the photo is important to understand and solve the problem.
    Thanks for your reply.
    It would be very helpful if you point towards my mistake.what I have done again?

5. Feb 17, 2016 #4

gneill

Staff: Mentor

You haven't done anything wrong. The automated courtesy bump simply moved your thread back up the thread list to make it more visible to helpers. This occurs when a thread languishes without responses for period of time, so that it gets another chance to be considered by the helpers.

For your problem, I suggest that you take a look at the Hyperphysics website entry for hall effect.

6. Feb 17, 2016 #5
    Thanks for clarifying

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted