Hamilton-Jacobi Theory: Why No Time Dependence?

• Thread starter Zorba
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Theory
In summary: So it's not really giving you anything new, it's just simplifying a problem that's already been solved.
Zorba
Regarding the Hamilton-Jacobi equation in it's usual form, I am having trouble understanding the following statement from Goldstein they say

"When the Hamiltonian does not depend explicitly upon the time, Hamilton's principal function can be written in the form

[tex]S(q,\alpha,t)=W(q,\alpha)-at[/tex]

where [tex]W(q,\alpha)[/tex] is called Hamilton's characteristic function."

So why is this? I don't understand why it is required that there be no explicit dependence on the time, it's seems to be as though we should be able to do this anyways due to the form of the Hamilton-Jacobi equation...

Physics news on Phys.org
Zorba said:
Regarding the Hamilton-Jacobi equation in it's usual form, I am having trouble understanding the following statement from Goldstein they say

"When the Hamiltonian does not depend explicitly upon the time, Hamilton's principal function can be written in the form

[tex]S(q,\alpha,t)=W(q,\alpha)-at[/tex]

where [tex]W(q,\alpha)[/tex] is called Hamilton's characteristic function."

So why is this? I don't understand why it is required that there be no explicit dependence on the time, it's seems to be as though we should be able to do this anyways due to the form of the Hamilton-Jacobi equation...

I think you meant alpha*t.

But anyways, the derivative of the action with respect to time is negative the Hamiltonian. When the Hamiltonian doesn't depend on time, energy is conserved. For a time-independent Hamiltonian, if you are following a particle on a trajectory then the Hamiltonian is constant, equal to the energy.

So that form of the Hamilton-Jacobi equation has a specific trajectory in mind, on which the energy is alpha.

Because the Hamiltonian is time-independent, you can assign it as a constant (alpha). Therefore, when you take the time derivative of the generating function S, you get -alpha=-H. And then H+dS/dt=0 which is what you want. It's just a way to simplify your generating function S.

So in some ways you could describe this as a "trick"? It doesn't actually tell us anything new, but it works because after taking the partial derivative the time disappears? I see how it is useful alright, even in the case of the harmonic oscillator it makes the equations much more easier to deal with etc.

Edit: Oh, and yes I meant to put \alpha there instead of a, there's a misprint in the book. I think that probably didn't make it any easier to understand in retrospect... :)

Zorba said:
So in some ways you could describe this as a "trick"? It doesn't actually tell us anything new, but it works because after taking the partial derivative the time disappears? I see how it is useful alright, even in the case of the harmonic oscillator it makes the equations much more easier to deal with etc.

Edit: Oh, and yes I meant to put \alpha there instead of a, there's a misprint in the book. I think that probably didn't make it any easier to understand in retrospect... :)

To be honest I don't know why you'd want to do that. I don't see the utility at all. But evidently there is some utility or else it wouldn't be in books.

Zorba said:

Splitting off your S into that form already is sort of like already doing 1 integral for you (it's trivial, but still, why mess with it every time you do a problem if they always come out the same?). Similarly, with separable problems, you want to separate out each term because you don't want to solve coupled-partial diff-eqs if you don't have to.

Related to Hamilton-Jacobi Theory: Why No Time Dependence?

1. What is Hamilton-Jacobi Theory?

Hamilton-Jacobi Theory is a mathematical framework used to describe the dynamics of a physical system, specifically in classical mechanics. It is a reformulation of the equations of motion that allows for the separation of variables, making it easier to solve complex problems.

2. What does it mean for Hamilton-Jacobi Theory to have no time dependence?

In Hamilton-Jacobi Theory, the equations of motion do not explicitly depend on time. This means that the solutions to the equations are independent of time, and the system is considered to be in a state of equilibrium or constant motion.

3. How is Hamilton-Jacobi Theory related to classical mechanics?

Hamilton-Jacobi Theory is one of the cornerstones of classical mechanics. It provides a more elegant and efficient way to solve problems that would be difficult using traditional methods. It also helps to explain and understand the underlying principles of classical mechanics.

4. What are the main applications of Hamilton-Jacobi Theory?

Hamilton-Jacobi Theory has many applications in physics and engineering, such as in celestial mechanics, quantum mechanics, and control theory. It is also used in other fields, such as economics and biology, to model and analyze complex systems.

5. Are there any limitations to Hamilton-Jacobi Theory?

Like any mathematical theory, Hamilton-Jacobi Theory has its limitations. It is mainly applicable to conservative systems, where the total energy is conserved. It also assumes that the system is in a state of equilibrium or constant motion, which may not always be the case in real-world scenarios.