Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Hang musical instrument

1. Feb 19, 2015 #1
    So I just discovered this awesome musical instrument today and thought I'd share it the forum. What do you think?
    I really like the sounds of this instrument, makes me think about ancient civilisations, not sure why... Almost like Aztec's or something.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 19, 2015 #2

Borek

Staff: Mentor

I think I have already posted similar videos in the youtube classics thread. Or was it the fav song thread?

4. Feb 19, 2015 #3
    To me the sound is very similar to the steel drum and it looks like the principle is the same. This one is just more compact and inside out, so to speak.

On that subject, is a steel drum really a drum? If so, wouldn't this be a drum? Or is a steel drum called that simply because it's made of a literal steel drum, a storage cylinder made of steel?

5. Feb 19, 2015 #4

Evo

Staff: Mentor

Looks like two woks on a tripod. Wok and roll?

6. Feb 19, 2015 #5
    They're called Hangs or Space Drums but the official name is Hang. Looks more appealing than the steel drums though

7. Feb 19, 2015 #6
    And easier to bring into the subway.

8. Feb 19, 2015 #7

OmCheeto

Gold Member
    2016 Award

Binzing and I discussed them briefly back in July of 2009, after I saw one at the fair.
    I just went through the "Best Songs Ever" thread from that point through Jan 2010, and I don't see that you posted it there.

9. Feb 21, 2015 #8

Pythagorean

Gold Member

I came across these a while ago when I was applying for grad schools. At the time, I had found that the guys that designed it invented the metal that it's made of for its resonant properties. And each one was supposedly custom made in a unique way and they stopped shipping out because they wanted people to come to Switzerland pick out their Hang manually. I considered applying exclusively to Swiss grad schools just so I could get one :P

anyway, apparently they're available for shipping now:
    http://www.boullard.ch/

The inventors' site:
    http://www.hang.ch/

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook