Discovering a Hang Musical Instrument: Ancient Sounds, Modern Times

• History
  • Thread starter iDimension
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Instrument
In summary, a steel drum is called a hang because it is made of a literal steel drum, a storage cylinder made of steel. The inventors designed the hang for its resonant properties and because they stopped shipping them out, people have to come to Switzerland to get one.
iDimension
So I just discovered this awesome musical instrument today and thought I'd share it the forum. What do you think?
I really like the sounds of this instrument, makes me think about ancient civilisations, not sure why... Almost like Aztec's or something.

Likes Greg Bernhardt
Science news on Phys.org
I think I have already posted similar videos in the youtube classics thread. Or was it the fav song thread?

To me the sound is very similar to the steel drum and it looks like the principle is the same. This one is just more compact and inside out, so to speak.

On that subject, is a steel drum really a drum? If so, wouldn't this be a drum? Or is a steel drum called that simply because it's made of a literal steel drum, a storage cylinder made of steel?

Looks like two woks on a tripod. Wok and roll?

Likes billy_joule, berkeman, OmCheeto and 3 others
zoobyshoe said:
To me the sound is very similar to the steel drum and it looks like the principle is the same. This one is just more compact and inside out, so to speak.

On that subject, is a steel drum really a drum? If so, wouldn't this be a drum? Or is a steel drum called that simply because it's made of a literal steel drum, a storage cylinder made of steel?

They're called Hangs or Space Drums but the official name is Hang. Looks more appealing than the steel drums though

iDimension said:
They're called Hangs or Space Drums but the official name is Hang. Looks more appealing than the steel drums though
And easier to bring into the subway.

Borek said:
I think I have already posted similar videos in the youtube classics thread. Or was it the fav song thread?

Binzing and I discussed them briefly back in July of 2009, after I saw one at the fair.
I just went through the "Best Songs Ever" thread from that point through Jan 2010, and I don't see that you posted it there.

I came across these a while ago when I was applying for grad schools. At the time, I had found that the guys that designed it invented the metal that it's made of for its resonant properties. And each one was supposedly custom made in a unique way and they stopped shipping out because they wanted people to come to Switzerland pick out their Hang manually. I considered applying exclusively to Swiss grad schools just so I could get one :P

anyway, apparently they're available for shipping now:
http://www.boullard.ch/

The inventors' site:
http://www.hang.ch/

Likes iDimension

1. What is a Hang musical instrument?

A Hang musical instrument is a hand-played percussion instrument that originated in Switzerland in the early 2000s. It consists of two metal hemispheres glued together, creating a convex shape with a central opening. The instrument produces a unique and mesmerizing sound that has gained popularity in both traditional and modern music.

2. What is the history of the Hang?

The Hang was invented in the year 2000 by Felix Rohner and Sabina Schärer of PANArt in Switzerland. The creators were inspired by traditional instruments such as the Trinidadian steel pan and the Ghatam from South India. The Hang was initially intended for personal use, but its popularity quickly spread through social media, making it a sought-after instrument by musicians and enthusiasts worldwide.

3. How is the Hang played?

The Hang is played by striking the metal surface with the hands and fingers. The player can also press on specific areas of the instrument to change the pitch, creating a melodic and rhythmic sound. The Hang can be played both solo and in a group, and it is often accompanied by other instruments such as guitars, flutes, or drums.

4. Can the Hang be used in different music genres?

Yes, the Hang can be used in various music genres, including traditional, folk, and contemporary music. It has been incorporated into world music, jazz, and even electronic music genres. The versatility of the instrument makes it a popular choice for musicians looking to add unique and intriguing sounds to their compositions.

5. How has the Hang evolved over time?

The Hang has undergone several changes and improvements since its invention. The original Hang had only eight notes, but newer versions have up to nine or more. Additionally, different scales and tunings have been developed, providing a wider range of musical possibilities. The material used to make the instrument has also evolved, allowing for better sound quality and durability.