1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Hanging a uniform bar

1. Jan 10, 2015 #1

pitbull

Gold Member

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Given a uniform bar of length L, which point should you hang it from (between 0 and L) so that you get maximum frequency for small oscillations?

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    It seems like a basic problem, but I don´t know how to start. Could you guys give me some clues to start it?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 10, 2015 #2

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

First, draw a diagram of the bar in some position and find the forces on it. If you can't post diagrams readably then describe it as well as you can.

4. Jan 10, 2015 #3

gneill

Staff: Mentor

Look up "physical pendulum" and refresh your memory about rotational motion, moments of inertia, and so on.

5. Jan 10, 2015 #4

pitbull

Gold Member

Would it be easy to solve it using Lagrange method?

6. Jan 10, 2015 #5

gneill

Staff: Mentor

I'll admit that I haven't thought about that. I suppose that you could write the Lagrangian for the system and work from there. Give it a go and see where it takes you.

Personally I see it as a physical pendulum problem for which a formula for the period is well known. All you need to do is account for different pivot locations (a well known theorem related moments of inertia is involved) and seek a minimum.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted