What's the Time for One Complete Revolution on a Hanging Swing Ride?

• Thread starter robdawg
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Swing
In summary, the conversation discusses the process of determining the time it takes for one complete revolution around a pole based on given measurements and using Newton's laws and the relationship between angular velocity and radial acceleration. The participants also mention using a free body diagram and the Pythagorean theorem to solve for relevant forces. Finally, they mention using the formula for RPM to determine the rotational velocity in radians per second.
robdawg
hello all this is my first post. I need to know the time to do one complete revolution around the pole.

...m
I------------------
I...I...θ...\
I...I.....\
I...I......\..n
I.......[]
I
I

m = 3 meters
n = 5 meters
θ = 30
[] = swing

Physics news on Phys.org
Draw a free body diagram, identify the centripetal force acting, Then apply Newtons laws to find the radial component of acceleration. Use the relationship between the angluar velocity and the radial component of acceleration to determine the angular velocity.

here's what I know so far by doing a free body diagram.
5cos(30)= y
length y = Sqrt(18.75)
5sin(30) = x
length x = 2.5
R = 3 + 2.5 = 5.5

using the pythagorean thereom we now that

sqrt((2.5)^2 + 18.75) = 5

force y = tcos(30)
force x = tsin(30)

circumference = 2pi(R)

about the forces we know that 5cos(30) = mg
and that tsin(30) = mω^2R

now how do I get rpms from this? what do I solve for?

thanks

Last edited:
ω is the rotational velocity in Radians/second. One revolution is 2Π Radians so to get RPM = 2Πω*60

1. What is a hanging swing fair ride?

A hanging swing fair ride is a type of amusement ride commonly found at fairs and carnivals. It typically consists of a large swinging pendulum with seats attached to the bottom that swing back and forth as the pendulum moves. The ride can go up to high heights and reach fast speeds, providing a thrilling experience for riders.

2. Is it safe to ride a hanging swing fair ride?

Yes, hanging swing fair rides are designed and maintained to meet safety standards and regulations. However, like any amusement ride, there is always a risk involved, and riders should follow all safety instructions and precautions given by the ride operators.

3. How many passengers can ride on a hanging swing fair ride at once?

The number of passengers that can ride on a hanging swing fair ride varies depending on the size and design of the ride. Some rides can accommodate up to 32 passengers at once, while others may only allow 16 or less. It's important to check with the ride operator for the specific ride's capacity.

4. What are the height and weight restrictions for riding a hanging swing fair ride?

Height and weight restrictions also vary depending on the ride. Most rides have a minimum height requirement of at least 36 inches, and sometimes taller for safety reasons. There may also be a maximum weight limit to ensure that the ride can safely support the passengers.

5. Are there any health or medical conditions that would prevent someone from riding a hanging swing fair ride?

People with certain health or medical conditions, such as heart problems, back or neck injuries, or pregnancy, should avoid riding a hanging swing fair ride. It's essential to consult with a doctor before riding if you have any concerns about your health or physical condition.