Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Haow is magnetic permeability measured?

1. Apr 12, 2012 #1
    My research is related to magnetism and I'm supposed to have a good understanding of permeability but I'm afraid I don't.

My question is that how is permeability of a mater measured so that it becomes independent of the geometry and configuration?

Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 14, 2012 #2

DrDu

Science Advisor

You just have to measure it for an advantageous geometry. I think your problem is more due to assuming that permeability should link H_0 to B and not H to B, as is standard.

4. Apr 14, 2012 #3
    You are right. My problem was mainly due to the wrong assumption. But then how can we measure H ? I remember once my professor was explaining that the sample should close a magnetic circuit so that the stray field becomes zero, then we have H=H_{0}. Since then I was wondering if we use the sample in a circuit with larger air gaps, how the measured permeability would be useful. I think now I understand the relation. Thanks a lot.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook