New Job: Moving Up & Teaching While Still Doing Research

• Thread starter Moonbear
  • Start date
  • Tags
    News
In summary: So many good ones to choose from!In summary, Moonbear has received a verbal offer for a new job, which involves moving to an office with a window and an improved HVAC system. This is a shift in her career direction towards education, where she will be teaching medical anatomy, occupational therapy, exercise physiology, nursing, and dental students. She is also looking forward to learning and teaching medical neuroanatomy. Her new position means she can focus more on teaching and collaboration, rather than struggling to balance research and teaching. Her colleagues are happy for her and she is excited for her new role.
Congratulations Moonbear! That is great news.

Physics news on Phys.org
Evo said:
WOOHOO!
http://img440.imageshack.us/img440/7555/flowerdancepleaseal7.gif

[PLAIN]http://img145.imageshack.us/img145/228/woohoo7usih7.gif[/QUOTE][/URL]

WOW!1111 DITTO! That is just SO wonderful, Moonbear! You'll be the best teacher EVER! You make us proud. :biggrin:

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks. I found out that the office next to mine, which I think whoever the second person hired gets whenever they arrive (not in time for this term), is a bit bigger, but NO WINDOW. :biggrin: I got the primo office!

I spent today moving files and books and stuff into my new office. I'm going to go in this weekend to hang all my pictures and move most of the rest of the stuff...mostly so I don't drive the grad students next to me crazy with hammering when they're in their office trying to work. Then I just have to wait for them to get me a phone. :rofl: Yeah, they set up the whole office and furnish it, and it seems it didn't occur to anyone to put a phone in there. :rolleyes: Once that's in, I can get IT to transfer my number, and give me internet access. In the meantime, I think I'll use one office as the one where I have my phone and computer, and the other for getting work done in a quiet room free from distractions. :biggrin:

I feel like I'm one of the professors in PhD Comics now, with two offices to hide in so nobody ever knows where to find me. :biggrin:

And the best part is that as I'm getting course schedules, it looks like they'll all be done in time to join Zz in Disney in December!

Moonbear, you have to make sure you actually take some time to "look out of the window". :biggrin:

Evo said:
Moonbear, you have to make sure you actually take some time to "look out of the window". :biggrin:

:rofl: I definitely will, and have. It's horrible. I've been deprived of a window for so long, every time I'm in the new office moving things in, I have to stop to look out the window. The scene doesn't change, but it's just so nice to know it's sunny out. I haven't even had to turn on the lights in the room during the day...plenty of light from the window. :approve: Perfect!

Oh, and since the little window on my door is a different size from the one on my old office, I had to go out and get new paper to cover it. Some gold vellum-like paper (semi-transparent...lets light through but I can change in my office without anyone seeing in), and Mickey Mouse paper that I'll put cut-outs of onto the gold background. I know Zz will expect a picture of the final result. :rofl:

Moonie, can you manage to put a bird-feeder outside of that window? You don't look at new trees, etc, but the birds are enough change and variety to break up your day. I love my birds!

turbo-1 said:
Moonie, can you manage to put a bird-feeder outside of that window? You don't look at new trees, etc, but the birds are enough change and variety to break up your day. I love my birds!

No, I'm sure maintenance would frown on a bird feeder. We already have bird feeders...they're called floodlights at night. :biggrin: The lights are so bright around the building and so many bugs attracted to them, the birds will be up all night feasting!

Moonbear said:
I've got a new job! I'm moving up...

Good for you, on the same day you posted this, I was turned down an offer! so I guess I'm moving down:confused::smile:

Desiree said:
Good for you, on the same day you posted this, I was turned down an offer! so I guess I'm moving down:confused::smile:
Hang in there! This is not a zero-sum game!

Desiree said:

Have comfort in the fact that you can't get lower than me. :tongue:

Kurdt said:
Have comfort in the fact that you can't get lower than me. :tongue:

The "temperature version" of me would be "absolute Zero -1", So are you still lower than me?

Thanks for the comforting post!

Desiree said:
The "temperature version" of me would be "absolute Zero -1", So are you still lower than me?

Thanks for the comforting post!
Actually, that's even hotter than being infinitely hot.

Moonbear you should try to get a second appointment in the English Department. Judging by the amazing quality of your posts here, you could teach them a thing or two about writing. Seriously, have you thought about teaching a essay-writing class for first year undergraduates or something?

Thanks for the compliment, ehrenfest, but I have no desire to teach English.