1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Hard power series and initial value problem question

1. Dec 12, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

We know that y = Aex is the solution to the initial value problem dy/dx = y; y(0) = A.
    This can be shown by solving the equation directly. The goal of this problem is to reach the same conclusion using power series.
    Method: Let y be a solution to the initial value problem, and suppose y has the
    power series representation
    y(x) =the sum from n= 0 to n= infinity of (an)(x^n)
    which equals a0 + a1x + a2x^2 + ...

First finnd a0. Next, take the term-by-term deriviative of the series to fi nd a power
    series representation for dy/dx . Using the fact that dy/dx = y, obtain a formula which
    shows how an is related to an-1 for n >1. From this, find an explicit formula for an.
    Finally, use the known power series representation for e^x to conclude that y(x) = Ae^x

3. The attempt at a solution

I know an = f(n)(0)/n!
    And I know the function is a power series centered at 0.
    but I don't really know where to go from there?
    i just don't know where to start on this. please help. if I see how to get started, I will be able to understand. I did try, but I don't know what to do!

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 12, 2011 #2
    If the solution can be represented as:

[tex]y(x)=a_0+a_1 x+a_2 x^2+\cdots[/tex]

and you know y(0)=A, then you know what a_0 is then and when you take the derivative of y(x), it's

[tex] y'(x)=a_1+2a_2 x+3 a_3x^3+\cdots[/tex]

and since you're given y'=y, then what about equating the respective power series for y'=y then equating coefficients? Doing that, can't you find an explicit expression for a_n? I'll do two:

[tex]a_1=A[/tex]
    [tex]2a_2=a_1[/tex]

but since a_1=A then [itex]a_2=\frac{a_1}{A}[/itex]. Now do a few more and notice the trend. Then come up with the general expression for a_n.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook