Hard power series and initial value problem question

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the solution to an initial value problem using power series. The method involves finding the coefficients of a power series representation for y(x) and equating them to the coefficients of the power series representation for y'(x). This allows for an explicit formula for the coefficients to be found, and using the known power series representation for e^x, it can be concluded that y(x) = Ae^x.
calculusisrad

Homework Statement

We know that y = Aex is the solution to the initial value problem dy/dx = y; y(0) = A.
This can be shown by solving the equation directly. The goal of this problem is to reach the same conclusion using power series.
Method: Let y be a solution to the initial value problem, and suppose y has the
power series representation
y(x) =the sum from n= 0 to n= infinity of (an)(x^n)
which equals a0 + a1x + a2x^2 + ...

First finnd a0. Next, take the term-by-term deriviative of the series to fi nd a power
series representation for dy/dx . Using the fact that dy/dx = y, obtain a formula which
shows how an is related to an-1 for n >1. From this, find an explicit formula for an.
Finally, use the known power series representation for e^x to conclude that y(x) = Ae^x

The Attempt at a Solution

I know an = f(n)(0)/n!
And I know the function is a power series centered at 0.
but I don't really know where to go from there?
i just don't know where to start on this. please help. if I see how to get started, I will be able to understand. I did try, but I don't know what to do!

Physics news on Phys.org
calculusisrad said:

Homework Statement

We know that y = Aex is the solution to the initial value problem dy/dx = y; y(0) = A.
This can be shown by solving the equation directly. The goal of this problem is to reach the same conclusion using power series.
Method: Let y be a solution to the initial value problem, and suppose y has the
power series representation
y(x) =the sum from n= 0 to n= infinity of (an)(x^n)
which equals a0 + a1x + a2x^2 + ...

First finnd a0. Next, take the term-by-term deriviative of the series to fi nd a power
series representation for dy/dx . Using the fact that dy/dx = y, obtain a formula which
shows how an is related to an-1 for n >1. From this, find an explicit formula for an.
Finally, use the known power series representation for e^x to conclude that y(x) = Ae^x

The Attempt at a Solution

I know an = f(n)(0)/n!
And I know the function is a power series centered at 0.
but I don't really know where to go from there?
i just don't know where to start on this. please help. if I see how to get started, I will be able to understand. I did try, but I don't know what to do!

If the solution can be represented as:

[tex]y(x)=a_0+a_1 x+a_2 x^2+\cdots[/tex]

and you know y(0)=A, then you know what a_0 is then and when you take the derivative of y(x), it's

[tex] y'(x)=a_1+2a_2 x+3 a_3x^3+\cdots[/tex]

and since you're given y'=y, then what about equating the respective power series for y'=y then equating coefficients? Doing that, can't you find an explicit expression for a_n? I'll do two:

[tex]a_1=A[/tex]
[tex]2a_2=a_1[/tex]

but since a_1=A then [itex]a_2=\frac{a_1}{A}[/itex]. Now do a few more and notice the trend. Then come up with the general expression for a_n.

1. What is a hard power series?

A hard power series is a mathematical series in which each term is a power of the variable, with positive integer exponents. It is called "hard" because it is often difficult to manipulate or solve using traditional methods.

2. How is hard power series used?

Hard power series are commonly used in mathematical analysis, particularly in solving differential equations and initial value problems. They are also used in physics and engineering to model and predict the behavior of complex systems.

3. What is an initial value problem?

An initial value problem is a mathematical problem that involves finding the solution to a differential equation, given a specific set of initial conditions. These initial conditions are usually given as the value of the dependent variable at a specific value of the independent variable.

4. How is hard power series related to initial value problems?

Hard power series can be used to solve initial value problems by approximating the solution to the differential equation using a power series. This allows for the solution to be expressed as an infinite series of terms, making it easier to calculate and manipulate.

5. What are some common applications of solving initial value problems using hard power series?

Solving initial value problems using hard power series is commonly used in physics, engineering, and economics to model and predict the behavior of complex systems. It is also used in computer graphics and animation to create smooth and realistic movement.