Hardest topic in intro calc-based Physics I

In summary, the conversation revolved around the topic of which part of the physics class was the most challenging for individuals. Some mentioned that torque and moments of inertia were the toughest in Physics I, while others struggled with angular motion and conservation of momentum. Some found central forces and gyroscopic motion difficult, while others struggled with differential notation and electromagnetics. There were also different opinions on whether physics 2, specifically E&M, was harder or similar to physics I. Ultimately, it was concluded that it varies from person to person and one's personal experience and strengths play a role in which topics are the most challenging.
Chunkysalsa
I'm just interested into what part of the class people have trouble with. Of course people are different so the answer may vary but I'm talking in general here. Which topic was the hardest to grasp and solve for your class and yourself.

Just curious to see where the bumps may be and if I already passed them.

Also , in general again, is physics 2 harder or similar to physics I. By physics I, I mean mostly classical mechanics and physics 2 being E&M. I believe most places are the similar in this sense. Thanks for any responses, I'm just curious.

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't think that you going to get one distinct topic as an answer. Everything in physics can be a "bump" depending on the person.

Back in my intro physics days, I found torque and moments of inertia to be the toughest thing we covered in Physics I.

G01 said:
Back in my intro physics days, I found torque and moments of inertia to be the toughest thing we covered in Physics I.

I realize that, I was just curious about personal experience and recollections from your classmates' experiences. This was the kind of answer that I was looking for, thanks.

I think those topics are next for us haha.

G01 said:

+1 :mad:

Hm, I personally get intimidated most by any question that involves any kind of angular motion. Followed by conservation of momentum. I'm at Lagrangians and central forces now, which seem a tad bit easier.

I've always struggled with the concept of angular momentum. Also, the concept of displacement current was a bugger

Angular momentum, and more specifically, gyroscopic motion are notoriously difficult in calc based physics.

G01 said:
I don't think that you going to get one distinct topic as an answer.

Seems like you were wrong here, everyone is choosing the same thing lol.

I begin rotational dynamics tomorrow and have a test on conservation of momentum/energy today. This class sure does keep one on his toes (and out of his mind)

Walter Lewin says it is static equilibrium.

The MIT guy?

Chunkysalsa said:
The MIT guy?

Yes.

Believe it or not, it was differentials in general. For instance, the internal energy in thermodynamics:

dU=p'dV-TdS

Now, of course, I now understand it's more about releationships than plugging numbers into a equation and calculating numbers.

Differential notation confused me again in differential forms. Hopefully in the future some mathematician or physicist well not use this notation as a new meaning for something else.

Last edited:
For me learning mechanics and dynamics was a snap. I always had trouble with electromagnetics.

^^It's the exact opposite for me. I suck at mechanics, but e&m is a breeze. I've never heard of this with anyone else so I must be some kind of weird anomaly. Specifically, I have trouble with rotational dynamics (like everyone else) as it seems like it's somewhat difficult for it to be intuitive.

Likes David Ho
hadsed said:
^^It's the exact opposite for me. I suck at mechanics, but e&m is a breeze. I've never heard of this with anyone else so I must be some kind of weird anomaly. Specifically, I have trouble with rotational dynamics (like everyone else) as it seems like it's somewhat difficult for it to be intuitive.

I know someone just like you. Tried as hard as he could and got a B in physics 1, but got an A in physics 2(e&m), which he said was much easier for him. But this is just the first intro courses, not the upper level mechanics and e&m, so who knows when it comes to that.

I would say Rotational mechanics is the hardest Physics 1 subject.

1. What is the hardest topic in intro calc-based Physics I?

The hardest topic in intro calc-based Physics I varies from person to person, as it depends on individual strengths and weaknesses. However, some of the most challenging topics include projectile motion, kinematics, and rotational motion.

2. How can I improve my understanding of the hardest topic in intro calc-based Physics I?

To improve your understanding of the hardest topic, it is important to practice regularly and seek help from your professor or a tutor if needed. You can also try breaking the topic down into smaller, more manageable concepts and work on them one at a time.

3. What are some common mistakes students make when studying the hardest topic in intro calc-based Physics I?

Some common mistakes students make when studying the hardest topic include not reviewing basic concepts, not practicing enough problems, and not seeking help when needed. It is also important to not overcomplicate the topic and instead focus on the fundamental principles.

4. How can I prepare for exams when the hardest topic is included in the material?

To prepare for exams, it is important to review all material, including the hardest topic. Make sure to understand the underlying concepts and practice solving problems related to the topic. It may also be helpful to attend review sessions or form study groups with classmates.

5. Is it normal to struggle with the hardest topic in intro calc-based Physics I?

Yes, it is normal to struggle with the hardest topic in intro calc-based Physics I. Physics can be a challenging subject for many students, and it is important to not get discouraged. Keep practicing and seeking help, and remember that understanding the hardest topic may take more time and effort than other topics.