1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Harmonic function

1. Jan 24, 2008 #1
    while doing physics , i just stuck on problem regarding mathematics

i wanted to plot the graph of combined SHM but in the formula there is a big problem regarding finding the angle of the given tangent.

i first used inverse tan but got a very weird wave, later i realized that inverse tan can give solutions between 0 -[tex]\pi[/tex] but what i wanted was a continuous increase in angle.
    i.e > [tex]\pi[/tex]or2*[tex]\pi[/tex], as angle increases with time(x -axis)

can somebody tell how to find angle

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 24, 2008 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Your calculator is giving the "principal value", specifically that value of t between [itex]-\pi[/itex] and [itex]\pi[/itex]. Since tangent is periodic with period [itex]\pi[/itex] your other values will be that number, plus [itex]\pi[/itex], plus [itex]2\pi[/itex], plus [itex]3\pi[/itex], etc.

4. Jan 24, 2008 #3
    the problem is that i am not working with a calculator , i am dealing with microsoft math
    it can plot a graph once you have given the function to it. so nothing can be done manually , i just wanted an expression which works

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?