Harsh grading or not? Argue with prof?

• Thread starter Lagraaaange
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses a student's loss of 10% or half of the points for a Fourier series problem due to forgetting to include an "x" in the argument of sin (pi). The student questions if this is an excessive deduction of points and suggests that different professors have different grading rules. It is suggested to speak with the professor during office hours to understand the mistake and possibly receive partial credit. It is also mentioned that not including the "x" could result in a zero for the entire problem, leading to a reasonable deduction of points.
Lagraaaange
I lost 10% or half of the points for a Fourier series problem because I forgot to include an "x" into argument of sin (pi). Is it just me or is this an excessive deduction of points?

Physics news on Phys.org
It seems a little harsh. Did you include it in future calculations correctly? Was it the final answer?

If it was your final answer, you really have no case there. They're two separate answers.

That said, many of my professors assign points for each part of the problem, so that em getting everything correct but entering it into the calculator wrong would be only 1 point off or so. Different professors have different rules, though, and unless it was exorbitantly unfair or you really got it right, it's hard to argue for more points.

Without the full question it's hard for anyone to make a call on whether something was harsh grading or not. Omitting a variable in a function like that is obviously going to make something into a zero, and so it's possible that the consequence of that, even if carried through correctly put you into a situation where you didn't have to deal with about half of the problem - at least from a mark allotment point of view.

The way to deal with something like this is to go in during office hours and simply ask the professor to explain what you missed. This helps you to learn from the mistake and allows you to open a dialogue about the problem without challenging or arguing with the prof. (Often, students who come in with a confrontational attitude are met with a stonewall.)

Lagraaaange said:
I lost 10% or half of the points for a Fourier series problem because I forgot to include an "x" into argument of sin (pi). Is it just me or is this an excessive deduction of points?
How do you figure that 10% is half the points?

Without x, ##\sin(\pi) = 0##. Without seeing your work, it's hard to tell if the points deducted were excessive. Also, many instructors will give partial credit if they think you're on the right track, but a few give credit only when the answer is correct. Hard to say without more information.

Did you then simplify it to zero? I would have taken more points off for that.

Its was an expression for a sawtooth wave. I did all the work right but then forgot to add the x in the definition of a Fourier Series: I had the Bn coefficient but forgot the x in sin(npix)

Lagraaaange said:
Its was an expression for a sawtooth wave. I did all the work right but then forgot to add the x in the definition of a Fourier Series: I had the Bn coefficient but forgot the x in sin(npix)

But was it just a writing error - that is, did you include it on the next line? Or did you simplify the whole thing to zero? Because if the latter is the case, then you absolutely made a huge mistake and losing 50% isn't unreasonable.

I agree with Micromass. You were asked for a function of x. You didn't write a function of x. Hard to get a lot of points in that situation.

Related to Harsh grading or not? Argue with prof?

1. Is harsh grading fair?

The definition of "fair" can vary from person to person and situation to situation. However, it is important to remember that grading is meant to evaluate your understanding and mastery of the material, not to make you feel good or bad. A professor's job is to set high standards and hold students accountable to those standards.

2. Why does my professor grade so harshly?

There could be a variety of reasons for this. Some professors may have high expectations for their students and want to push them to reach their full potential. Others may believe that tough grading will better prepare students for their future careers. It is also possible that the professor has specific criteria and guidelines for grading and is simply following them.

3. How can I argue with my professor about my grade?

Before trying to argue with your professor, it is important to first thoroughly understand their grading criteria and rationale. If you still feel that your grade is unfair, approach your professor respectfully and calmly with specific examples and evidence to support your argument. Keep in mind that the professor has the final say in grading and may not change your grade, but it is worth having a discussion about it.

4. What should I do if I disagree with my professor's grading?

If you disagree with your professor's grading, the first step is to talk to them about it. They may be able to explain their reasoning or make corrections if they made a mistake. If you are still not satisfied, you can also reach out to the department chair or academic advisor for further assistance. It is important to follow the proper channels and maintain a respectful attitude throughout the process.

5. How can I handle the stress and pressure of harsh grading?

Dealing with harsh grading can be challenging, but it is important to remember that your grades do not define your worth as a person. Focus on understanding the material and improving your skills rather than just aiming for a high grade. Additionally, make use of resources such as tutoring, study groups, and office hours to help improve your understanding and performance. Lastly, try to maintain a balanced lifestyle and take breaks to avoid burnout.