Has B-L some role in the mass matrix?

In summary, the traceless matrix (B-L) x M is compatible with tracelessness when looking only to one color.
arivero
Gold Member
So, B-L is a U(1) generator extracted out of some unified theories of leptons and quarks and in such theories it is traceless, with B=1/3 and L=1, and the trace taken over a "four coloured" multiplet, namely a lepton and three colored quarks.

Now, I am amazed that there is another Matrix that happens to be traceless, and it is the product of B-L times Mass, when taken only with a single colour of light quarks, I mean we have

Tr (L x M )=sum of lepton masses = [itex] 1882.98 \pm 0.16 [/itex] MeV
Tr (B x M) = 1/3 sum of udscb masses= [itex]1852.37 \pm 13.13[/itex] MeV

Moreover, there is at least one lattice team out of the consensus for charm quark,
http://arxiv.org/abs/1311.2793 and with the quark values of this paper, we would have Tr(B x M) = 1882.23 It is also true that the same group has another paper with a slightly higher b mass, but with a compatible error anyway.

So it seems that discarding the top quark, the matrix (B - L) x M is compatible with tracelessness when looking only to one colour.

The question is, are there GUT theories using this product matrix? or topcolor or technicolor theories? Georgi-Jarlskog?

Physics news on Phys.org
Wouldn't then the Tr[ (B-L) x M ] = Tr[B x M ] - Tr[L x M] != 0 ?

ChrisVer said:
Wouldn't then the Tr[ (B-L) x M ] = Tr[B x M ] - Tr[L x M] != 0 ?

Yep, that is my point; it is intriguing that discarding the top quark, (B-L) times Yukawas happens to be a traceless matrix. I was not putting explicitly this way because one could argue that we still need to account for three colours. On the other hand, colour seems to commute with the yukawas.

Also putting explicitly one sees that the sum in each sector is about two times the nucleon mass, or if you wish about six times the "current quark mass". I think this also is a hint connecting the mass mechanism to colour.

I meant not-equal to zero, so it won't be a traceless matrix...
[itex]1852.37-1882.98 =- 30.61 \pm 13.13 [/itex]

ChrisVer said:
I meant not-equal to zero, so it won't be a traceless matrix...
[itex]1882.98- 1852.37 = 30.61 \pm 13.13 [/itex]

Ah, sorry. It is equal to zero with paper 1311.2793 and from reading this paper and the alternative lattice calculations I was considering that perhaps the charm mass is undervaluated. Note that Erler keeps this paper listed in the most current review, surely because its calculation of the strong constant is more coincident with the electroweak fit than the other calculations. But even if not valid -or if other discussions of scale invariance and renormalization apply- it is still very near of zero, and then naturalness a la 't Hoft could be invoked: if a quantity is very near of zero, we should look for a symmetry protecting it.

Last edited:
There are probably some subtleties here: quark masses depend on the renormalization scale. Lattice calculations are usually renormalized around 2-3 GeV, pretty low compared to the GUT scale. Your equality may not hold at the GUT scale.

The_Duck said:
There are probably some subtleties here: quark masses depend on the renormalization scale.
And lepton masses too.

Very interesting. I wonder why the outlier paper has a charm mass that is 75 MeV heavier than is typical? What assumption is different? Is it because it is Nf=2+1+1 rather than Nf=6?

It is also worth noting that Tr (B x M) = 1/3 sum of udscb masses= 1852.37±13.13 MeV has a value that is identical within the MOE to 1/3 sum of scb masses, a relationship that has been known for some time now. And, the 1/3 sum of scb masses is comparing triple to triple and so doesn't have to concern itself with the unexplained omission of the t mass from the trace.

Related to Has B-L some role in the mass matrix?

1. What is B-L and how does it relate to the mass matrix?

B-L refers to "baryon minus lepton number" and is a conserved quantum number in particle physics. It is related to the mass matrix through the GUT (Grand Unified Theory) model, which proposes that B-L symmetry is broken at high energies and can explain the observed differences in masses between particles.

2. What is the evidence for B-L playing a role in the mass matrix?

The GUT model predicts a specific relationship between the masses of different particles based on their B-L quantum numbers. This has been confirmed by experimental data, providing evidence that B-L does indeed play a role in the mass matrix.

3. How does B-L symmetry breaking affect particle masses?

When B-L symmetry is broken, it allows for different particles to have different masses, which was previously not possible under the strict B-L conservation rule. This is how the GUT model can explain the observed variations in particle masses.

4. Are there any alternative explanations for the relationship between B-L and the mass matrix?

While the GUT model is currently the most widely accepted explanation for the role of B-L in the mass matrix, there are alternative theories that propose different mechanisms for the observed variations in particle masses. However, these alternative theories are not as well-supported by experimental data.

5. How does understanding B-L's role in the mass matrix impact our understanding of the universe?

The GUT model, which incorporates B-L symmetry breaking, is a key component of our current understanding of the universe and the fundamental forces that govern it. By studying B-L and its relationship to the mass matrix, scientists hope to gain a deeper understanding of the origins and structure of the universe.